Angela's Reviews > Archangel's Shadows

Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal, romance, pre-order, kindle, favorites, 2014-read, aoc, poc

I can't believe that I didn't write an actual review of this book at any point in the last couple years since it's come out. Noticing that is actually one of the reasons that I started on this re-read of the entire series. And it's been so worth it. This is the first time I've re-read in a few years and I'm enjoying the series like it's brand new - mostly because since Archangel's Storm, it feels that way to me. I've re-read these later books once at most, and they're still not fully settled in my memory. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to reading them for the first time again.

Ash and Janvier have been a favorite since their novella (Angels' Pawn) was first released in a tease of the series prior to Elena and Raphael's first book. I loved her "gifts" and his charm. They seemed the perfect pair and I've spent several years watching them play with each other, tease and chase each other, and (I hoped) work towards their HEA. Finally, finally, my patience (okay, so I wasn't so patient) paid off.

I thought I had a pretty good handle on the gifts that Ashwini hid from the majority of the world. A type of psychometry, more to do with people than objects though, and a bit of precognition. But I never considered the darker side. I knew that her touching others could leave her reeling in their memories, but there's a very real consequence and worry in Ash's life related to all of this. I sometimes hate the 'we can't be together because of...' trope, but I loved how it was handled here. Ash took the time and care to be sure that Janvier knew why she hesitated, why she didn't let their relationship go past a certain point before he understood.

When she did tell him, when he understood the terrible truth, I love how they decided to take life and live it. Full throttle. No holding back, no reservations. Their romance was incredibly poignant and sweet - and sexy - to me. I love their banter, their play. It brought light to a very (possibly) dark story.

Being that this book is just after the major war that happened in Legion, things are starting to settle back into normality - except for a pervasive threat that comes out of the aftermath. Ash and Janvier are more than up to the task of tracking down this threat and taking care of it, though. And I did find the mystery plot interesting, but - for me - the best part of this book was the relationships, intertwining, heart-breaking, and full of love.

If Archangel's Legion is where I first become truly curious about Naasir, this is the book where I became enamoured of him. Despite being hundreds of years old, a vampire, sexual, predatory, and dangerous, there's such a sense of innocence about him. He's .... not tainted. I found myself enchanted by his thought processes, and my heart broke a little with the bits and pieces of his history that we did get. I can't wait to dive into his book next, again.

Archangel's Shadows was an amazing book. A bit quieter, action-wise, than the last, but no less potent. It might just be my fan-girl speaking, but I think these just keep getting better and better.

Review also available at The Book Eaters

Original thoughts:
Ever since Angels' Pawn I've been wanting more of Ashwini and Janvier. Their playful banter with each other charmed me from the beginning. This book just furthers how much I love them both - together and separately. Great addition to the series. Nice continuation of events from previous books, and I loved seeing more of Raphael, Elena and the rest. I especially, especially loved learning so much (and yet not enough) more about Naasir. Whom I love. More. Now. Please.

Full review to come closer to release date.

4.5 Stars

Review copy received from publisher in exchange for an honest review.

THE COVER!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Shadows.

June 10, 2013 – Shelved
August 15, 2014 – Started Reading
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: review-to-read
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle
August 15, 2014 –
3.0% "The monster was here.\n \n This book starts off awesome!!"
August 15, 2014 –
8.0% "Illium bowed deeply, adding an elegant flourish with one hand. "Yes, O Dark Overlord."\n \n *snickers* I love Illium!"
August 15, 2014 –
15.0% ""Such a conscientious landlord. Would you fix the plumbing, too?"\n \n "If you let me put my pipe in your sprocket." Pure wickedness in his smile at her groan...\n \n I just LOVE these two! So much playfulness with each other."
August 15, 2014 –
18.0% ""You've always been smart." It was a flame in him, the desire to grasp at life with both hands, absorbing knowledge in a thousand different fragments.\n \n "I am happy to know you think so, cher, for your mind seduced me long ago."\n \n *sighs happily* I love them so much."
August 15, 2014 –
25.0% ""Am I a person, Dmitri? Will you be sad if I die?"\n \n Aww. Breaking my heart here."
August 15, 2014 –
30.0% ""You didn't bring our hunter?"\n \n LOL! So funny and cute."
August 16, 2014 –
34.0% "The Legion are SO fascinating! I'm really enjoying the extra bits we're getting with them."
August 16, 2014 –
37.0% "I always wanted to know more about Naasir, but now I'm dying to know more!"
August 16, 2014 –
38.0% ""You can ask me seven questions."\n \n This is SO fun! ^_^"
August 16, 2014 –
42.0% ""It's funny how really smart people have the most unusual holes in their worldview and perception."\n \n It definitely is!"
August 16, 2014 –
45.0% "The chemistry between Ash and Janvier is so strong and palpable! *fans self* Wow."
50.0% ""
54.0% ""
August 16, 2014 –
59.0% "Naasir growled in reply. "My new shirt from Honor is torn and bloody."\n \n People better watch out! LOL. I'm loving Naasir more and more with every moment."
August 16, 2014 –
63.0% "Oh man. Heads are gonna roll!!! \n \n O____O"
August 17, 2014 –
69.0% ""Only someone with a twisted sense of humor would consider that a courtship."\n \n *snickers*"
August 17, 2014 –
71.0% "Man. Rip my heart out a little more, why don't you? \n \n Jeez."
August 17, 2014 –
75.0% "I love the loyalty and care that permeates Raphael's domain."
80.0% ""
August 17, 2014 –
84.0% " We're going to have a discussion when you get home about your idea of appropriate prep time. \n \n LOL"
August 17, 2014 –
87.0% "I love Ashwini. She's SO awesome."
91.0% ""
94.0% ""
August 17, 2014 –
98.0% "I love this. So much. \n \n "
August 17, 2014 – Finished Reading
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
December 7, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-read
January 5, 2019 – Shelved as: aoc
January 5, 2019 – Shelved as: poc

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Aly is so frigging bored IKR? It's my favorite after the cover of #2!

Angela I just love how Ashwini looks! So kick-ass!!

It's right up there with the covers for 2 and 3 for me. <3

message 3: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Mar 06, 2014 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly is so frigging bored Yes! And the sexy Janvier on the bike in the background *sigh*

Kathylill For me this is one of the best covers so far :)

Sandra_23 OMG! Ths cover is so beautifull! Some editors make the covers without any thougth or consideration for the book and the plot (for example I´ve seen many cases were the heroine is blond with long hair or something like that and they put a brunete with a blob hairdo and some muscular long-haired macho who have nothing to do with the real protagonists) That really pisses me off, but this cover is right-on-the-money ! It´s perfect... I imagined Ash just like this, and janvier in his bike in the backgrnd *-*
Gosh, can´t wait 5 *

Angela I agree! This series gets some of the best covers I've seen - Ash is PERFECT on this one :D

message 8: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid i'm drooling. thought I'd put that out there.

Camila, the opinionated Catruler Did someone say Naasir?!

Angela There is a BUNCH of Naasir in this book - and I loved every single moment with him! ^_^

Lyndi W. I swear to god he's a shifter. Has to be. I'm glad we'll get some more of Naasir, I haven't gotten a fix on him just yet.

Camila, the opinionated Catruler *excited squeal*

message 13: by Angela (last edited Aug 17, 2014 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela I hadn't either before this Lyndi....I'm not sure I have a good fix yet, either. But I'm loving getting to know him, even oh-so-slowly. ^_^

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I'm hoping we learn more about Sorrow, but mostly very happy that Janvier and Ashwini FINALLY have their story told...and told very well. :)

Angela I don't think there's much, if anything, about Sorrow in this book - at least not that I recall. But it wouldn't have fit very well in the story. We do get a lot of little updates on a lot of characters though. :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Angela! Ever since events in the first book, i feel as if something big will happen Sorrow. I'm curious about what she was infected with and how she'll evolve. Plus, I think she'll be paired with Aodhan.

Angela I'm super curious about Sorrow, too! Ooh. I've not heard the Aodhan/Sorrow theory before. I've always kind of wondered if it would be (not a spoiler for this book - just my speculation): (view spoiler).

Her with Aodhan could be interesting though.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Angela wrote: "I'm super curious about Sorrow, too! Ooh. I've not heard the Aodhan/Sorrow theory before. I've always kind of wondered if it would be (not a spoiler for this book - just my speculation): [spoilers ..."

They fit into Singh's h/h pairing formula - confronting fears and almost an opposites attract. Sorrow is terrified of Angels. Aodhan cannot bear touch. It's where my speculative mind leapt.

I have heard the Venom/Sorrow pairing, but I'm not feeling the chemistry. Of course I missed the Mercy/Riley hint in the Psy/Changling series, so I could be wrong.

Angela That's a good point. They could very well fit the pairing tendency.

I don't actually feel there's chemistry with really anyone and Sorrow just yet - so I think the field is wide open. ^_^

message 20: by T.J. (new) - added it

T.J. Shaw Angela, you're such a tease! I just love this series. Looking forward to your full review.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Super review Angela!

Angela Thanks Eon! :D