Beverly Diehl's Reviews > Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Near-Death Experience and Journey into the Afterlife

Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander

5641908

bookshelves: autobio-memoir, family, health, inspirational, non-fiction, religion

NDE's - Near Death Experiences - are fascinating to anyone who wonders what's on the other side. Generally, it seems that people who have them already have preconceived notions about what's there - and no surprise, that's what they find. This may be the only account that both tells the story of "the other side," AND explains how and why, at least in this case, it's highly unlikely to have been a vivid hallucination. For all intents and purposes, Eben Alexander's brain was shut down, and while he was a nominal Christian, he describes himself as more of a skeptic.

I listened to the audiobook first, then later tried to read a copy of the book without following along via the audio. That was rough going - I definitely recommend listening to the audio book instead of or in addition to reading it.

Dr. Alexander reads it himself, and I loved the smoky-tangy barbecue-sauce flavor of his North Ca'lina accent, as well as his passion and enthusiasm as he described his experiences.

The beginning is kind of wonky and long-winded in places, including the description of his credentials - necessary, for us to understand WHY he is qualified on both sides of the NDE to explain it to us - but yawn city.

Chapters alternate with what was happening with Dr. Alexander's body, as it succumbed to the bacterial meningitis that almost killed him. Obviously, those were pieced together later, from interviews with family members, doctors, and a review of his medical records. The parts about his own experiences in the Earthworm's Eye-view and the Gateway to the other, earth-like non-earth place, were written down before he began researching the tales of others with NDE's.

I loved the message he was given:
You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever.
You have nothing to fear.
There is nothing you can do wrong.

Whether this message is true (for everyone) or not, I hope it is. And I found comfort in the idea that the people I've lost in recent years, found that security, relief, love, after or while they died.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proof of Heaven.