Mollie's Reviews > In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton

2071715
Jul 16, 2009

Read in July, 2009

In Harm’s Way is a very vivid and detailed telling of the fate of the USS Indianapolis, which was torpedoed by the Japanese in the deepest part of the Pacific Ocean, leaving the survivors stranded and drifting on the sea for days. The homecoming of the survivors was marred by the court-martial of their Captain in what the author portrays as a real miscarriage of justice; furthermore, the announcement of the end of the war just two weeks after they were rescued sidelined the survivors’ tragic story. As the mother of a son just the age of these boys, my heart literally ached as I learned their horrific story. In fact, I had a hard time finishing some of the passages. It is the saddest of tragedies. Thank heavens this story has been brought to full light after all these years, Historically, everyone should know what happened to the men aboard the USS Indianapolis on July 20, 1945. But brace yourselves—it’s truly heartbreaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Harm's Way.