Auntee's Reviews > First Drop of Crimson

First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

Jul 15, 2009

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, 2010_reads
Recommended for: Fans of the author; Fans of paranormal romances like the IAD or BDB
Read in February, 2010

Fantastic fun! It was intense, a bit gruesome, suspenseful and soooo sexy! Spade, I underestimated you!! Please forgive me Bones, but step aside! There's a new man in my life....:)

This is Denise McGregor's story (you remember her--"human" best friend to half-vampire Cat Crawfield, who is half of the Bones/Cat super-couple)? Well, ever since Denise's husband Randy met his demise (in the most horrible way) in At Grave's End, Denise has been trying to stay away from her friends in the immortal world, wanting to make a clean break from her past and all the horrors she witnessed and the guilt she feels over Randy's death. But when her young relatives start (suspiciously) dropping like flies, one after the other, and she witnesses one of the deaths which is actually a murder, and the murderer turns into a dog right before her eyes, she knows she needs help. But who? Who would believe her when the authorities think the deaths are just the result of heart attacks? Cat, that's who. But when Denise has trouble reaching her, she reluctantly turns to the one person who would know Cat's where-abouts--the powerful, mysterious, and sexy as hell vampire, Spade. Spade doesn't want Denise to involve Cat and Bones in her problem, since they've recently had their own rough time, and agrees to come to her in Fort Worth. But before Spade can get to her, she is visited by a demon named Raum who wants a very specific thing from her. Find one of her long ago relatives (Nathaniel) who welshed on a deal with Raum and is probably hiding out among vampires, and bring Nathanial to him or watch her parents be the next victims of an early demise. Oh yeah, and to make sure she cooperates, he leaves her with some demon "brands" that could turn her into a demon shape-shifter like him along with unique qualities to her blood that could threaten her very existence and make her a valuable commodity to the vampire underworld.

So Spade arrives, finds Denise "branded" by a demon and listens to her plans of finding the elusive Nathanial, and since he's adamant that she doesn't involve Cat and Bones in her plan, he reluctantly agrees to help her in their place. It won't be easy tracking Nathanial, he could be the property of a number of vampires, and Denise and Spade's search takes them from NYC to Las Vegas, to England, and various cities in Europe, ending in a big party in Monaco where it's revealed just who has Nathanial and what has been done to him for the past 150 years.

Now, while all this is going on, Spade and Denise try to fight the attraction that has been brewing between them since they first met years ago. Because of Spade's tragic last great romance over 150 years ago, he vowed never to get involved romantically with a female human again--humans were just for casual "shagging" and feeding. And since Denise is a friend of Cat and Bones, there could be nothing casual between them. But boy is he tempted.

As is Denise. Even though Randy's been dead a year, and Denise wants to move on, she doesn't want to be attracted to Spade and be drawn back into the world that left her with nightmares. But after spending more and more time with him, and witnessing what a good man he is, and his old-world charm and his modern day sexiness, how can a girl resist?

Okay, more than enough said. You'll just have to read it and get swept up in it like I did. Jeaniene Frost does not disappoint--there is not a slow spot in this book. If you've read the first 4 books in the previous series and enjoyed them, you'll find this one just as enjoyable. This book was a very easy read, and I was able to slip right back into the world JF created even though I've read many books since Destined for an Early Grave. I felt this book had more romance and less action in terms of the "fighting" that Cat and Bones had to do, even though there is some action (especially the exciting conclusion where Denise proves how much she's changed--both physically and emotionally). But the best part for me was the romance between Spade and Denise--it was filled with sexual tension (OMG, Spade's shower scene!) that just built and built, and then the payoff? Whew! Turn up the AC, or run outside in the snow! Verrry erotic and verry passionate!

Fans of Bones and Cat, don't despair! You know JF had to include them in this book, and they do show up, just in the nick of time. You'll also see plenty of Ian (who is both annoying and charming--I'm dying to read his book), and even Mencheres gets in on the act, and is important in the final showdown with Raum. This story just hit all the right notes for me--there's romance, action, humor, some creepiness, and plenty of moments that left me sighing. And oh my, I fear I may have fallen for Spade as well. He is just so...hot! Spade and Denise made one terrific couple, and to those of you who may feel that Cat is a little 'tough', you may find Denise as a heroine more to your liking (although she can kick some serious a**!) There wasn't anything I didn't love about this story--it gets 5 big stars from me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Drop of Crimson.

02/05/2010 page 1
0.27% 5 comments
02/05/2010 page 40
10.78% ""You eat the room service employees every time? Denise asked, shocked.
"Of course. But don't fret on their behalf. I always tip well."" 3 comments
02/06/2010 page 95
25.61% "Ian snorted. "And angels fly out of my arse when I fart.""
02/07/2010 page 222
59.84% "Bones? Who's Bones? I'm in love with Spade now!:)" 7 comments
02/08/2010 page 371
100.0% "Fantastic! Review some time today..."

Shawna OMG, I'm sooo jealous! Where did you find this so early?!?!

Auntee Found it at WalMart today--one lousy copy!:D

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel I got it too! And I'm not even living in the States! I am going to finish another book first though, hope to start this on Sunday :)

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Found it at WalMart today--one lousy copy!:D"

Lucky you! I was just at my Wal-Mart on Wednesday and no such luck for me!

MelissaB Auntee,

Do I have to be caught up on the Night Huntress series to start this one or is it a stand alone series?

Hope you are digging out okay! We have about 18-20 inches of snow up here that I just spent two hours shoveling out of the driveway with my hubby. Fun stuff! The roads were horrible last night, it was rough getting home from work.

Auntee Hi Melissa! Can you believe it? What happened to that 6-12" forecast? We have 20" and they plowed our driveway in and that was 30 inches! My arms feel like they're going to fall off! Did you lose your power at all?

BTW, yes, I would advise getting caught up on this series, even though it doesn't star Cat and Bones, you need to know what's gone on up to this point.

MelissaB I know! They never really warned us! Oh well, at least we have power which is good because we have a heat pump so we would have no heat if we lost power. We have drifts around 3 feet high around our house which was fun to shovel through. What a crazy storm!

I need to get caught up on Cat and Bones!

Rane YES! I've been waiting for your review and am so happy to hear it's a great book! (and a greater foucs on the romance) and SPADE! That alone makes me a happy fangirl ;D

Auntee You were right! How did you know that Spade would be such a dreamboat?:)

Kathrynn I'm not reading your review until I read the book, Auntee. :-) Saw your rating and that was all I needed to know, for now. We'll "talk" about it later, gator. :-) Whatcha readin' next? Snowbound?

MelissaB Nice review Auntee! I really want to read this, I am going to have a Frost marathon sometime after I do my Nalini Singh Angel series marathon.

Stay safe today! I am hoping to get out of work early.

Auntee Kathrynn wrote: "I'm not reading your review until I read the book, Auntee. :-) Saw your rating and that was all I needed to know, for now. We'll "talk" about it later, gator. :-) Whatcha readin' next? Snowbound?"

LOL Kathrynn--nothing with "snow" in it for a while!:)

Auntee MelissaB wrote: "Nice review Auntee! I really want to read this, I am going to have a Frost marathon sometime after I do my Nalini Singh Angel series marathon.

Stay safe today! I am hoping to get out of work early."

Thanks Melissa--a Frost marathon will go real fast for you--you'll be up to speed in no time flat!

You stay safe too--I hope you can get out of work early or at least have the snow delayed until tonight!

MelissaB I think I need to read something that takes place on a tropical island next!

Bark's Book Nonsense This sounds great but I haven't read the previous books that you mentioned. Should I find them first?

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Auntee wrote: "You were right! How did you know that Spade would be such a dreamboat?:)"

He's such a gentleman through and through ;D what's not to love? *an arrow of love straight through the heart*

message 17: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Super review Auntee! I am very jealous because I haven't gotten this book yet. I am soooooo glad it is going to be a good one!
Ally

Lynsey A Great review, Auntee! You and my other Night Huntress loving friends on GR has peaked my interest in the series and I have it requested at the library! If I love this series (which it seems like I might) I will add it to my auto-buy!

message 19: by Tammy (last edited Feb 09, 2010 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammy Please forgive me Bones, but step aside! There's a new man in my life....:)

Better than Bones?! Really?! Thank God this one was released today. I must pick up my copy ASAP so that I can better understand this blasphemy that you speak! :P

Tammy Woe! Wait! What happened to Tanner? Is he in this book too? You mentioned Ian ...

Great review by the way, Auntee. :)

message 21: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Great review, Auntee!
This sounds like a really good series but it seems to be related a bit to another one by the author. Am curious are both series books with the same H & H?

Auntee Thanks all!:)

BarkLess (love the name btw), I would recommend reading the first 4 books so you can read a little more about Spade and Denise and the whole Night Huntress world.

Tammy, do you mean Tate? No, he wasn't in this one.
LOL, yeah, that was a bit blasphemous, wasn't it? But I can't help it--Spade made me forget about Bones! How did that happen?

Rossy, this book is just an off-shoot of the "Night Huntress" series, and in that series Cat and Bones are the H/h of each book. But this book deals with two of the supporting characters of that series (Denise and Spade).

Brandi I'm so glad to hear that this book is going to live up to my expectations!!!!

Tammy Tate!! I'm getting my JF characters and Lora Leigh characters mixed up. How'd that happen? ROTFL!!!!!

Auntee You must have too much going on, Tammy!:D

Tammy As always.

Auntee Tammy wrote: "As always.

It would probably help if I took better notes on the books I've read. But then again, Bones is the only character that really sticks out in my mind from JF's books. :)"

Oh you just wait...:)

Kathrynn So true!

message 29: by gcrc (new) - added it

gcrc argh! I've read the previous night huntress books and loved them beyond words... do I really have to stop and shift gears and fall in love with spade and then be torn back to bones and cat? it just seems painful and I'd rather not go through that. is it REALLY so crucial to the night huntress plot to read these? because I'm fine with a little confusion, but if it's really so imperically crutial to read these.... Please help

Auntee No, you don't have to. But youll kick yourself if you don't!:)