Auntee's Reviews > Unbound

Unbound by Kim Harrison

Jul 15, 2009

bookshelves: anthologies-novellas, paranormal-romance, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of Bones

This review is for Reckoning, by Jeaniene Frost...

Attention all Cat and Bones fans...here's a tasty little morsel to tide you over until the next full length story about them or their world (First Drop of Crimson) comes out. Now be warned, there is no mention of Cat in this one, because it occurs in February 2004, right before Bones heads to Ohio and meets up with her for the first time. This one takes place in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, and Bones is flying solo in this one. He's in town (as a hitman) when Marie (Majestic) the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans supposedly asks him to kill a couple of really old ghouls (Delphine and Louis LaLaurie) who are terrorizing the city, snatching revelers and eating them (*gulp*). The LaLauries are a couple of really nasty characters, and they do some really gross and gruesome things, and our man Bones is out to stop them. Of course there's a few twists to the story when he finds out who really wants them dead (and why), and Bones proves that he really is a good and decent guy. He also has to deal with an annoying vampire (Ralmiel) who's out to collect the bounty on his head and who hinders his hunt for the LaLauries, but who ends up playing an important role in helping him to rid the city of the evil ghouls. We finally get a look inside Bones's head since this story is told with his POV (very interesting), and hear his thoughts about himself and his life. There's no romance so to speak (although he does befriend a hairdresser who helps him dye his hair platinum, and has a sexual liason with her--off the pages). Things don't turn out so well for her though, and I had to admire the decision Bones made about her fate (he really is a good guy).

This was a nice liitle UF read, but it was a little like a delicious little appetizer, and I'm hungry for the main course. A story about Bones and Cat would do nicely to fill me up! 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbound.

July 15, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 1, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009_reads
September 1, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Karyn (new) - added it

Karyn oooh you have Unbound. I'm waiting to get my hands on this one. I read the first chapter of the story with Bones on Frost's site.
A story from Bones' POV. Sigh!!!

message 2: by Kathrynn (last edited Sep 01, 2009 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrynn I finally found a copy of this book. Not at any of the Walmart(s) or Target(s) I checked, but at Hastings Bookstore--hidden in the horror section. Sheesh!

Auntee Horror section? Jeez!
Sorry to send you on the wild goose chase to WalMart. They may have in now, but I remembered now I got it at Borders--sorry.:) Glad you found it though. I think I'm just going to read Frost's story for now.

Kathrynn I think that's the only story I'll read for now, too. Have you got your hands on "Hunt Her Down" by Roxanne St Claire, yet? It's at Walmart now. It's a good one.

Kathrynn Yup, it was filed with Kim Harrison's books and hers are in horror. I've never read a Kim Harrison book...have you? May give one a try. I enjoy a good horror book.

Auntee I did get "Hunt Her Down", although I don't know why I bothered because I am far behind in that series--I'll need a marathon read to catch up!

Never read a Kim Harrison book either.:)

And so far I'm really missing Cat in the Frost story. But I'll keep going, just to catch some more tidbits about Bones!:) It's good to get inside his head.:)

message 7: by Karyn (last edited Sep 01, 2009 06:36PM) (new) - added it

Karyn I got a copy yesterday finally, and like you, only read Bones' story. I loved what he did for Becca (wasn't that her name?) at the end. It was interesting to see things from Bones POV.

Auntee That's right! (Poor Becca...) yeah, I liked what he did for her too.:)
Yes, wouldn't it be nice if we got to read more of Bones's POV?

message 9: by Dina (last edited Sep 01, 2009 07:50PM) (new)

Dina Nice review, Auntee, but I'm going to pass on this story/book. I'm a jealous gal and I don't want to read about Bones and any other woman that's not Cat.

Auntee LOL--I was feeling the same way (even though this was before he met Cat, and he was quite the experienced vamp)--it felt like he was being unfaithful!:) Thankfully JF didn't go into detail, and if you blinked you could easily have missed the fact that anything happened between them!:)

message 11: by Karyn (new) - added it

Karyn More from Bones' POV would be great, but i wonder if she'll write any.
I don't know if i imagined it and it was wishful thinking, but it did seem to me like Frost wrote Bones' as being tired of all the womanising and wanting something more -you know that part where he's thinking bout going back to England ...

Auntee No, I don't think you imagined it--I got that same feeling. He was ready to meet someone like Cat!:)

I think I read somewhere that the next book (about Spade) will not be in First person, so maybe we'll get multiple POV in that one.:)

message 13: by Karyn (new) - added it

Karyn Oh yeah. That lil teaser at the back of Destined for an early grave was from both Denise and Spade's POV.

I really like Spade. Hope she does more books on these guys - Mencheres, Vlad. Even Tate :O)

Kathrynn Starting this one now. Hope to read more on Vlad and Tate, even Mencheres in the future. :-)

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Whew! I was worried this one was going to feature Bones and Annette. So glad to hear it didn't!

Awesome review Auntee. Makes me want to hurry up and finish book #4. =)

Shawna Great review, Auntee!

Oh boy...You know I can't miss a story featuring my fantasy hubby Bones, especially one that's told from his POV! :)

Auntee Thanks all! I was a little worried that without Cat I wouldn't find this too interesting, but JF did a fine job with what she had to work with (and I found out I don't need much of a plot with Bones being Bones...)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I just realized this was a prequel. So I can read this one first? I haven't read any of the Night Huntress books yet.

Auntee Yep, it would be perfectly okay to read this first. Although you may get a bit more out of it if you read the first book in the series before this one--it would explain a little about the vampire world and the ghouls that are in this one. I'm sure either way would be fine though.:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Okay, I can swing that. I was debating whether I should buy this new or used since I'm behind in all these series!

message 21: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Great Review Auntee!

Ollie Thank you this great review! Anything with Bones in it I want to read! The part where you mentioned "We finally get a look inside Bones's head since this story is told with his POV (very interesting), and hear his thoughts about himself and his life" I have always wanted to know.

Also the little fun he has with the hairdresser sounds like fun but love how you mention that Bones makes a decision about her fate and he is a good guy regarding it.

Need to get a copy of this book!

Auntee Thanks Olllie--just getting a look inside Bones's head is worth the price of this book!:)