Shelby | Double Up Books's Reviews > Bess of Hardwick: Empire Builder

Bess of Hardwick by Mary S. Lovell

Jul 15, 2009

bookshelves: my-love-for-non-fiction, all-time-favorite-books

If you love reading about powerful women, this book is a keeper! Bess of Hardwick is a rags to riches story about a woman who rose from poor beginnings and married her way up to Countess. But, her success also came from the type of person that she was - intelligent, compassionate, devoted, and strong. She certainly didn't have it easy, but she seemed to make the most of every situation that fell upon her. It is said that she was the most powerful woman in England aside from Queen Elizabeth I.

When I started reading this book, I knew very little about Bess, but upon completion I felt like Mary Lovell did an excellent job of explaining just who Bess really was. This is definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

You could tell the amount of excellent research that Mary Lovell did for this book. She uncovered new information about Bess of Hardwick which is incredible considering that this story is over 400 years old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bess of Hardwick.

message 1: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Shelby, I share your enthusiasm for this topic, but I disagree with calling E. of H. "rags to riches". She was not born into "riches", I agree, but her childhood was not one of deprivation and poverty.
sincerely,