manda-rae's Reviews > The Mackenzie Legacy

The Mackenzie Legacy by Derrolyn Anderson

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult

This book picks up right where the last one left off. Cali and Calvin are on the run from a crazy professor who wants to use Cali as his guinea pig. But since they're on the run and not really attending school, this book seems to not really have the young adult feel anymore. Which is perfectly okay because Cali is about eighteen in this book.

Do we remember Cali's ability to read emotions and make you feel certain emotions? Well, Calvin learns how to capitalize this ability which Cali tends to think is cheating. And while I agree, I'd certainly be using this ability to the max as well (I guess I'm a little greedy). But the story about the Athena Effect begins to unfold and things get explained. And Layla, the girl I wanted to know more about, has quite a few appearances here. I really enjoyed seeing the mix of Cali and Layla in this book because they're quite the opposites. And it's refreshing to see different views on their abilities.

I really liked the ending. Some mistakes made by the characters, but it's still a future happily ever after (unless there's another story). If you liked the first, you'll like this one as well. Love stories and happy endings; you must like those if you want to like this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mackenzie Legacy.

June 8, 2013 – Started Reading