Jason's Reviews > Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World

Quantum Psychology by Robert Anton Wilson

liked it
bookshelves: psychology, philosophy, spiritual-transformation, shadow-culture, buddhism, consciousness, science-physics, want-to-read-again, new-age
Recommended to Jason by: RAWIllumination.net

This one has been in my "to read" pile (pile #4 or #5, I can't remember which) for quite a while, and this online Quantum Psychology group reading finally moved it into the "currently reading" pile and from there into the "read." (The reading group's responses to the exercises in chapters one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three are all on the RAWIllumination website.)

My answer to one of the last posted exercises also serves as decent summary of the book's thrust:
Q. Explain the link between the "model agnosticism" that Wilson advocates here (and elsewhere) and quantum theory.

A. To me, these eight-plus different models/maps of what quantum mechanics means [detailed in Nick Herbert's Quantum Reality] provide an ideal demonstration of "model agnosticism." You have observations, and then you have the process of interpreting these observations to create their meaning. In psychological terms, each one of us inhabits a perspective from which we make observations and then we create the meaning, the "is" with which we explain those observations. "Model agnosticism" provides some breathing room, some space between the observation and the meaning-creation and can potentially reduce our territoriality and our fighting over the small mouth noises and ink squiggles we use to communicate the meanings we construct.

Unfortunately, there are several groups of people upon whom Wilson regularly heaps scorn throughout the book, undercutting to some degree the power of this book's thesis and reinforcing the same sense of territoriality that "quantum psychology" seeks to relax. For example, every snide comment about Catholicism (rather than about sombunall Catholics!), made me think of counter-examples in Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, the Rev. Jack Ditch, and others, and frankly it rankled a bit. That said, maybe RAW's apparent inconsistencies trigger my own sense of territoriality, and so the tingling means the book is working!

Many have noted this book's relationship to Prometheus Rising , one of his betters works of nonfiction. I plan to re-read this book again, as a whole this time, rather than in 23 small doses, and in tandem with Prometheus Rising to see if my overall estimation of this book changes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quantum Psychology.

July 15, 2009 – Shelved
August 14, 2012 –
page 80
August 19, 2012 –
page 85
42.08% "This chapter was all about the F-word and what its banning on the radio and TV says about semantic taboos."
August 27, 2012 –