Emily's Reviews > A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School

A Mighty Long Way by Carlotta Walls LaNier

bookshelves: adult-bio-and-memoir, ya-readadv

If I were a high school history teacher, all my students would read this book. Lanier was the youngest of the Little Rock Nine—the nine black kids who went to Central high school after it was forcibly integrated. As a high-achieving, captain of this, queen of that 8th grader, when she heard that Central was opening to black kids, signing up was a no-brainer: it was a much better school, with much nicer equipment and labs, and it was closer to her house than the all-black-by-default high school. She had no idea what was coming. When she showed up to Central the first day, the National Guard was there—to keep the Nine safe, she thought, because crowds were jeering and spitting at them—but the state governor had actually called out the Guard to prevent the black kids from entering (it was the President who integrated the school, not the governor). The Nine were not allowed to participate in any sports or extracurriculars, a shock to the usually-involved-in-everything Carlotta. Many of the Nine didn’t return to Central after the first year. Carlotta, the youngest, entering as a freshman, survived all four years and was the first black female graduate of the school. Fantastic and eye-opening, with a forward by Bill Clinton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mighty Long Way.

Finished Reading
June 8, 2013 – Shelved
June 8, 2013 – Shelved as: adult-bio-and-memoir
November 22, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-readadv

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Troiano breen Carlotta is self absorbed. This might be a good book for her family, but I don't really care about Dorothy "Bunny" Frazier. She goes into great detail about people she never mentions again. I am using this book for summer school and it is so tedious.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Troiano breen She also is such a braggart and places importance on glamour, design, material possessions and the special relationship she has with her dad. I get it she has a lot of pride and is boastful which she needs to be a part of the Little Rock 9, but does she have to keep reminding us about all her "stuff." Yikes.