Max Shenk's Reviews > The Marx Brothers Scrapbook

The Marx Brothers Scrapbook by Groucho Marx

One of my favorite books. This is an oral history of the Marx Brothers, mainly told through hilariously unexpurgated interviews with 80-year-old Groucho, along with others who worked with the brothers during their stage and film careers. Groucho (or, maybe, his handlers) was upset that the interviews were entirely unedited (probably fearing a lawsuit from a couple people) but never did he sound more human and funny. The pictures (most of them from Groucho's collection) add to the book's appeal, and visually it's a great book... but the best part is those interviews: funny, sad, inflammatory, full of mnemonic holes and details contradicted by the other interviewees (it's funny and sad, for instance, to read Zeppo and Gummo and Groucho arguing with each other through their individual interviews, knowing they didn't really speak in person anymore), but no other book I've ever read has given me a feel for a time, place and people than this one did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marx Brothers Scrapbook.

Finished Reading