Jeanette's Reviews > Piercing the Darkness

Piercing the Darkness by Frank E. Peretti

Jul 15, 2009

bookshelves: personal-library
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I just finished reading this book. It was absolutely riveting. Peretti even outdid himself. I decided to go back and read This Present Darkness again before reading this one, for comparison's sake.

This story revolves around another small town named Bacon's Corner that is being overtaken by evil. A woman named Sally Beth Roe stars along with a man named Tom Harris, but they follow parallel storylines, tied together but unknown to one another--at least at first. Our heroes, Marshall Hogan and Bernice Krueger, make their way back onto the scene, with Marshall's wife Kate playing a more active role than in Ashton.

I love how Peretti starts the story out with tons of action and confusion but then slowly brings some order out of it without telling all. Although we, as readers, are able to see from many different characters' perspectives, including the angels and demons, Peretti ably conceals the tortuous route that the story takes us through. And even though we can guess the end--good prevails over evil--we are driven to find out HOW good will prevail over evil. At so many points in the story, impossible situations occur, things get bleaker by the second, evil's grip become a chokehold . . . and yet, we continue to root for good to triumph SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY. Peretti does not fail his readers.

I am a Frank E. Peretti fan for life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piercing the Darkness.

04/09/2016 marked as: read