John's Reviews > The Paradise War

The Paradise War by Stephen R. Lawhead

Jul 14, 2009

bookshelves: own
Read from April 04 to 23, 2010 — I own a copy

Wow is all I know to say. I was really surprised by this one (as by Lawhead's last series). The first half (not quite half, but whatever) is just okay, but the 2nd half is spectacular! It's very creative, where as the first half seems a little borrowed. I was going to read another book from a different series before I read the 2nd of this series, but I'm not sure that I can resist now!

As far as writing, Lawhead has a great writing style. He inspires emotions excellently in the reader. My only complaint is that he can get a little wordy, especially in slow scenes. There are several "hold on while I spend 3 pages describing the inside of this cave" moments, but you can just skim those and move on, so its not worth getting upset over.

There's a cliff hanger ending, so if you're thinking you might want to read the 2nd one by half way through the this one go ahead and order it (if you amazon your books) because you'll want it!

Edit: I'd like to mention that I wouldn't really recommend this book to females, it's a pretty masculine-themed book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paradise War.

04/08/2010 page 125
28.15% "I'm withholding judgement. I didn't like the first half of the first book of his I read too."
04/19/2010 page 310
69.82% "Glad I did, It's much better!"

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Schiedel-Anderson Masculine-themed eh? What exactly does that mean? Like lots of bloody action? Or let's compare muscles?

John Jodi wrote: "Masculine-themed eh? What exactly does that mean? Like lots of bloody action? Or let's compare muscles?"

It means its not a love story. haha. Its about war and about men the whole time. I think a female would like it, but thats not who its aimed at.