Colleen Wainwright's Reviews > If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single?: Ten Strategies That Will Change Your Love Life Forever

If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single? by Susan Page

bookshelves: relationships, self-help, nonfiction

One of the most sensible and well-written of the relationship books, with the absolute worst title of all of them. (To be fair to the author, in her preface to the revised edition, she cops to the lameness of the title, having realized in hindsight what she could not at original press time.)

Her intentions were honorable, though, as reflected by her content. The original king-daddy of "get your own shit together, please" approach to dating, the plan outlined in the book is thorough, expecting not-inappropriately high levels of diligence and forbearance. Best of all, she (gently) forces you to take a long, hard look at the truth of your life. If you've rationalized your own ambivalence, she will call you on your shit—maybe not in Chapter One, maybe not in Chapter Five, but eventually, and in a manner so spot-on, you are likely to physically shrink from the text. There is no hiding in the "If I'm So Wonderful?" world!

Even if you don't feel like acting on the full soup-to-(am I)-nuts plan, there are some good tips and tools on getting clarity around what you're looking for and logical, high-return hunting strategies. Plus, it's oddly comforting to read this and know that I'm not alone in my trepidation, and that when I'm ready to let go of it—or feel the fear and do it anyway—others like me have successfully crossed over from skeptics to true believers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single?.

June 6, 2013 – Started Reading