Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Eversea

Eversea by Natasha Boyd

Total escapism! A fun romance between a Hollywood A-list movie star and a feisty small-town girl.

In her small town of nine thousand people, the last person Keri Ann ever expected to meet was Jack Eversea. THE Jack Eversea. But there he was, in person, the world most famous Hollywood mega-star actor sitting in her bar.

Turns out he was escaping his life, so to speak. Between the drama of a bad public break up and the non-stop spotlight on his life, he just needed a break. An escape.

"Suddenly, my heart started going a mile a minute and I was breathing hard. Jack Eversea was in my house! I willed myself to calm down and catch my breath. He was just a person. A human being. Right? I bent down for a moment and stuck my head between my knees, hoping my blood would circulate normally again."

I loved that despite the fact that Keri Ann was actually a big fan of his movies, she was able to separate them from him as a person and realize that underneath the whole Hollywood persona was really just this sweet, charming (and maybe even a little lonely) guy.

They hit it off and despite wanting to keep his presence in the town a secret, he trusted her and proposed a trade -- he'd help her fix up her house if she'd agree to do things like getting him groceries and supplies (which he couldn't do without being recognized)… and so began their flirtation-filled friendship.

Meanwhile though, quite literally the whole world was wondering where on earth their top favorite movie star had gone!

But things weren't that simple. Jack was literally bound by contract to be in a relationship with a high profile movie actress (who he had actually dated in the past).. this was a signed deal, set in stone, no way out. Needless to say, that put more than a little hitch in any potential relationship between him and Keri Ann. There were so many questions that popped up -- I mean, it was wonderful that he was in her town now, but he couldn't stay forever so… what would happen when he went back? Would he get back together with his ex? Would he have to leave soon? Could the spark between them realistically go anywhere?

I think there's just something thrilling about the idea of a romance with a Hollywood star. But despite that there was a definite undertone of angst because throughout the whole book, you just KNEW that at the end of it, he would have to return to Hollywood and would have to go back to at least pretending to be with another woman.

His hand left mine, and he pressed it palm down in the centre of my chest.
"If I'd know you were in my future, I would have chosen differently."

Despite this having some more serious elements to it (including Jack's backstory), there were still some really cute funny moments scattered throughout that kept me smiling for a lot of the book.

I have to say I really loved that Kerri Ann was mostly very up front about her feelings and I really felt for her. I mean, how would YOU feel if the person you were crushing on slash falling for "had" to be in a public relationship with someone else?

But I liked that even though she was a small town girl and he was a big shot movie star, they really went toe-to-toe on everything.

"Did anyone ever tell you how arrogant you are?"
"Not arrogant. Confident. There's a difference."

I enjoyed watching them fall for each other despite their situation. The progression of drama felt very natural - nothing that made me ill with worry but at the same time, I did really want everything to get sorted out.

"Do you think it's normal for people to feel like this," he motioned between us, "whatever this is that happens when we are in the same room with each other? Maybe you have no idea, but I do. It. Doesn't. Happen. At least not to me."

The ending was a cliffhanger. Buuuuut, I knew that going into the book. At least it was more of a "positive" cliffhanger though - the kind where you're left with the knowledge like it's all going to work out in the end as opposed to one where everything is blown to hell but still… I need book #2. Like now. Right now. Dammit.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was true escapism. It was light and engaging with a dash of angst and a smattering of serious. I liked the characters and the story. It didn't pull any huge range of emotions from me but I'm really glad I read it and I'm definitely looking forward to the next one, FOREVER JACK, which will be out in November 2013 :)

****************************

For more of my reviews, book news and updates:
Main blog: Aestas Book Blog
Facebook Blog Page
Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eversea.

June 6, 2013 – Shelved
June 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2013 – Started Reading
June 24, 2013 –
25.0% "So I started this one late last night but was too tired to do updates. I'm really enjoying it! I've been smiling a lot and am liking the whole "secret romance" with a Hollywood star angle. Can't wait to finish it tonight :-)"
June 24, 2013 –
30.0% "Back to reading my Hollywood romance! *squee*\n "Did anyone ever tell you how arrogant you are?"\n "Not arrogant. Confident. There's a difference.""
June 24, 2013 –
40.0% " "Do you think it's normal for people to feel like this," he motioned between us, "whatever this is that happens when we are in the same room with each other? May you have no idea, but I do. It. Doesn't. Happen. At least not to me.""
June 24, 2013 –
45.0% "LOL!!! --> "Jack tensed, and puling away from me, turned to the edge of the pool. After several moments of mumbling something that sounded suspiciously like "dead puppies, dead puppies, dead puppies", he lifted himself out.""
June 24, 2013 –
87.0% " "What do you want me to say? I'm sorry I'm so fucked up I sold my life, my soul and my future to the devil?"\n His hand left mine, and he pressed it palm down in the centre of my chest.\n "If I'd know you were in my future, I would have chosen differently.""
June 24, 2013 –
99.0% "all done! I NEED MORE!!! dammit. MORE!"
June 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Tays Hermann Peceguini added too! sounds really good!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Added!

Sucheta the cover looks awesome .. & added..!

romance enthusiast Aestas is this a standalone book?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

No. There's a #1 beside the title. There will be a 2nd book to follow

Aestas Book Blog No, it's book #1 of a 2-book series. There is a minor cliffhanger but it leaves you knowing there will be a HEA at the end (which the author confirmed with me).

Amanda I just read this last night/this morning after you added it to your TBR list...otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen it. It was wonderful...loved everything about it BUT, I'm not sure I would call it a minor cliffhanger! I was shocked when I finished, thinking-was that seriously the last page?!?

Siana I also just finished this last night and also loved it. While the cliffy wasn't exactly minor, it was the kind that I can live with; it gave me hope and gave me a decent idea where the next book would be heading, so I wasn't exactly left hanging. Can't wait for the next book!

Sarah Do you know when the next ones coming out?

Sarah This was SO gooood by the way!

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Next one comes out November 2013

message 12: by Vieira (new) - added it

Vieira This almost smells like Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart.....but I am intrigued!!

mejmi Vieira wrote: "This almost smells like Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart.....but I am intrigued!!"
haha, those were exactly my thoughts while reading the book :D

Lauren I read this a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I'm sure you will too.

message 15: by Urooj (new) - added it

Urooj  Kodwavi Im thinking of reading this book but i wonder if its a good book

Aestas Book Blog It is good!! Sorry I haven't written my review - I'm heading on a trip and it's just been crazy. I'll have it up tonight!

message 17: by Urooj (new) - added it

Urooj  Kodwavi Nah its alright.. Have fun.. Oh okay is it sad a bit here and there

Jenny King I just won a copy of this! Sounds good!

Katya2007 Sweet review - added to my TBR! Thanks!

Aestas Book Blog Katya2007 wrote: "Sweet review - added to my TBR! Thanks!"

Lisa wrote: "Awesome review! I will have to give this one a try!"

Thanks guys! I hope you enjoy it :)

Meghan Great review! I loved it!

Aestas Book Blog I'm in love with the cover too Maya ;)

Christine love the review! i cant wait to read this!

message 24: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija Amazing review, Aestas. Hope I get around to reading this soon myself. :)

Aestas Book Blog Meghan wrote: "Great review! I loved it!"

Christine wrote: "love the review! i cant wait to read this!"

Dija wrote: "Amazing review, Aestas. Hope I get around to reading this soon myself. :)"

thanks everyone :)

message 26: by AJ (new)

AJ Love your review, Aestas! Definitely adding this one :)

Julie This book is amazing with it sweet story line with so much emotion and love. Two people been pulling together by something most of us search a life time for. Can't wait for Forever Jack.

Kelly I like a bit of smutiness in the books I read - will I find it in this series?

Aestas Book Blog Julie wrote: "This book is amazing with it sweet story line with so much emotion and love. Two people been pulling together by something most of us search a life time for. Can't wait for Forever Jack."

Glad you liked it!

Kelly wrote: "I like a bit of smutiness in the books I read - will I find it in this series?"

Um, there's steam for sure. But it's not like kinky or anything... it's there though :)

AJ wrote: "Love your review, Aestas! Definitely adding this one :)"

Claire So I'm just about to buy this book based on your review. But. Tell me it's not a copy of love unscripted!

Aestas Book Blog Claire wrote: "So I'm just about to buy this book based on your review. But. Tell me it's not a copy of love unscripted!"

No, it's a different story. I mean, there are similarities because they are both Hollywood actor romances but it's not the same story :)

Claire Great! Thanks a mill :)

Rachel Your reviews sold me on this series!!!

Rachel Your reviews sold me on this series!!!

Rachel Omg tell me Audrey is a lying hussy!!!!