Peter's Reviews > A Jello Horse

A Jello Horse by Matthew Simmons

it was ok

You are given a small, thin book by AEB. AEB is your wife and she often gives you good things to read. AEB explains that the book, while it has no pictures, is very short and therefore perfect for you. You thank her and begin to read it. You are a bedtime reader and so you find it hard to get through more than 20 or 30 pages a night. Even at that it, the book is so small you finish it in 3 days.

Overall you find the book to be a bit pretentious and over-thought. You find the use of tense to be an unnecessary contrivance. You struggle with the alphabet soup of initials used in lieu of character names.

You are on the fence when it comes to the hallucinatory imagery, but only because you know that you've struggled with obvious symbolism before, only to be called on it by people smarter than you. You decide not to mention anything about this to AEB.

You come away from reading the book with a sense that there was a good tale to be told, and profound statements to be made, but that the medium obscured the message. You decide not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You give the book 2 stars on Goodreads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Jello Horse.

Started Reading
July 13, 2009 – Finished Reading
July 14, 2009 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Andrew G While I disagree with your review (I enjoyed the book), I rather enjoyed the way you presented it. It made me smile!