Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*'s Reviews > Golden Boy

Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

DBR ALERT!! DBR ALERT!!

Oh this shit is going to be a cacophony of insanity. How to express the mother fucking feels??

I LOVED THIS BOOK! OH HELL YES.... LOVED!

It made me so angry, so sad about the world we live in and the bullshit that is endured every day.

Watch this video, pretty please!!!

Okay, okay.... there are things that as a reader, and a lover of diversity, that I hated about this novel. Sometimes life is UN-FUCKING-FAIR, And as a quiet, ha, weak womanfolk type I've learned to let some shit go, but damned if I didn't wanna slap a fucking fool...

Onto the story: Max is intersex - when I was a tween/teen it was called hermaphrodite (that's irrelevent, though)- and between dealing with his younger brother (who is possibly autistic or ADHD) and his dad running for MP, he has his shit cut out for him, Golden Boy or no!

Oh the fucking feels this novel invokes! I almost cried and I'm a monster - It's well documented - and I almost never cry when reading! But, god, I felt for him! (view spoiler)

This is a novel of harsh realities but also softness, love, pain and endurance. That IS the power of the human experience!

Just read it! It'll open your eyes and make everything feel just a little bit different...

This has been another drunken review with Karly! Stay classy, or assy, my friends!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Boy.

Quotes Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Liked

Abigail Tarttelin
“In the end, how [is] anyone any different from a 'normal' person? If you love someone, you love them. It doesn't matter where they came from or if they're a boy or a girl, or if you fight, or if they're weird, or if they find it difficult to communicate with you; you just fucking love them.”
Abigail Tarttelin, Golden Boy

June 6, 2013 – Shelved
June 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 22, 2014 – Shelved as: booking-with-ashley
June 4, 2014 – Started Reading
June 4, 2014 –
page 28
8.07% "That first POV with Max....\n \n \n \n FUCK YOU, SOCIETY!!"
June 4, 2014 –
page 52
14.99% "Dear Max: \n \n "
page 261
75.22% "\n This book has its hooks in me..... must finish!!"
page 261
75.22% "Secrets...It eats a bit of their souls and worries around...like, goes around their brains nibbling at their brain cells. So they get mean and snappy, because that's what happens when your soul gets eaten. And... and the eating keeps them up at night, because it hurts, so they get tired. It...it eats at love, and empathy, so the things that bind you to other people get gnawed away at, until they're thin and easily"
page 288
83.0% "Oh this review is going to be a disaster, I just know it.... but this book, this book is amazing!!"
June 6, 2014 – Shelved as: my-lovelies
June 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

karen awww i love you!!! you are a great dbr-er

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* LOL thanks.... I feel a little bad with the cussing and drunkenness on a YA review but, as I said, I am a monster :P

karen it's not a YA title, so you're fine.

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh, okay.... I always assume if the MC is teenage it's YA.... making an ass of myself again!

karen NOOOO YOU'RE NOT!

maybe things are different in canada. all metric and shit.

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* LOL, doubtful, my dear, very doubtful!

I really wish this book was more popular than it is - they hadn't sold a copy since may of last year when I bought it from my bookstore last weekend and it was all misfiled and no one had noticed *sad panda*.

karen we are doing what we can to bring the eyes of the world to it...

message 9: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima Karly! You make me laugh :D
I've seen this book. If you loved it that much i'll have to check it out!

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh good :) I like making people laugh, laima! This is actually a serious book, however it is wonderful!

message 11: by Trish (new)

Trish Thanks for pointing me towards this book!