Jen's Reviews > The Polysyllabic Spree

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Jul 14, 2009

Recommended for: Fans of Hornby who are curious what he's reading

I used to pick up The Believer almost every month, and primarily to read Hornby's column. And here they are bundled in a nice little book.

His column in The Believer is a monthly struggle with the books that he's purchased and the books that he's read. And just generally his overall struggle with reading.

I love that he's completley honest (we think) about his reading. He fully admits how long it takes him to read Dickens and that there are some quote unquote classics that he's never picked up. At the same time, somewhere in the year he picks up some Dennis LeHane books and then spends the next two pages talking about how great they are. It's a nice range and seems very normal/real compared to my reading habits and those of the people around me.

I think I would call Hornby a little snarky (which I love) and not at all pretentious about what he's reading, so that's also great.

If you like reading books about books, or getting some recommendations from a well rounded and well read author, I would recommend this and the rest of the series as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Polysyllabic Spree.

Quotes Jen Liked

Nick Hornby
“I don't want anyone writing in to point out that I spend too much money on books, many of which I will never read. I know that already. I certainly intend to read all of them, more or less. My intentions are good. Anyway, it's my money. And I'll bet you do it too.”
Nick Hornby, The Polysyllabic Spree
tags: books

July 14, 2009 – Shelved
July 14, 2009 –
page 22
15.38% "I used to buy the Believer just to read Hornby's column so I was so excited to find this collection!"
July 16, 2009 –