Megan's Reviews > Also Known as Harper

Also Known as Harper by Ann Haywood Leal

This is the book I have been waiting for this year! It is CLEAR that Leal used her background as teacher to craft this novel. From start to finish I could put names to the faces of the characters. Not the names that they are given in the novel, but the names of students I have encountered in my classroom over the last 11 years. It made me think more of those students and their lives. I smiled, laughed, and cried.
This book would be great for a literature circle or a situation where you could really sit and talk about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Also Known as Harper.

Started Reading
July 13, 2009 – Shelved
July 13, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Excellent review Megan! To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite novel so I was very excited to see this at the bookstore. I'm also a teacher so I appreciated how you related to the characters in the book. Do you think students would enjoy it as well? If so, more as a read aloud or to peruse on their own? (cannot wait until the library has it in stock.)

Megan I could use it as read aloud, but I would really want to talk about it as they read, so if you didn't have time for talking, use it as a book that students talk about it together. Lots of deep issues that they would want to share similar stories about or talk out.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Thanks Megan. What grade(s) do you teach?

Megan I teach fifth grade.

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it