Faye, la Patata's Reviews > Fire with Fire

Fire with Fire by Jenny Han

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not alter or influence my thoughts in any way.

Disclaimer: If you haven't read Book 1, be cautious as this review may have some spoilers.

Now that that's done with...

GOOD LORD SWEET BABY JESUS. THIS BOOK WAS SIZZLING, I TELL YOU! SIZZLING GOOD!

Honestly, I'm not coherent right now. My feelings are all over the place and I don't think I'll be able to keep myself from gushing how madafracking awesome this book was and how it made me all cray cray. I'm still going back to certain chapters just to read and experience the heart-pounding and heart-melting scenes again, so full of held-back emotions that are just threatening to overflow. Hell, I'm actually reading those chapters right now and I'm feeling butterflies in my stomach. GUUH. If you thought Burn for Burn was good, dude, you're in for a mad ride with book 2 'cause this instalment was insanely better.

I don't know if y'all are aware of it, but I hate bad boys. I get grouchy like a cat whenever I encounter a handsome but bad/rebellious/arrogant guy in YA fiction and the heroine falls for him. I would always scratch my head and wonder what the hell could she be thinking? But this book... this book made me fall for bad boy, arrogant and cocky jock Reeve... isn't that just weird and astounding?! I hated him in Book 1, hated what he did to Mary and all the sneers and jeers he gave to everyone... I was so happy when he got what he deserved at the end of Burn for Burn because... well... he's a dick. Period. No question about it. But here? Oh my, ooh lala! My heart softened and melted like delicious peanut butter. NO JOKE.

So how did I transform from a Reeve hater to a Reeve fangirl? Let me tell you. Fire with Fire starts where Burn for Burn finished. Everything has pretty much ended for Reeve, but he's determined to get back to the sport he loves so much. Rennie starts hatin' on Lillia, and Lillia is clueless why the former has given her the cold shoulder — to the point of ignoring her mere existence. Kat can't wait to get out of Jar Island but is still conflicted with her feelings for Alex, and Mary still feels what they did to Reeve just wasn't enough. Then we find out Reeve has feelings for Lillia, and the trio has decided to give him the best punishment yet... make him fall in love with Lillia more and then crush his heart after.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't exactly happy with this premise. I didn't think it was as strong as the first one. And really, 518 pages on that alone?! I was wary, definitely. But damn... I need to be more trustful because this book fricking hit the nail on the head! The journey was fantastic! I learned to love Reeve — all his flaws and his strong points — and even rooted for him and Lillia even though I was originally pinning her with Alex. Sure he's a dick, he's an arrogant prick, he's a jock whose life ended after that one night... but (god, kill me now, I can't believe I'm actually saying this) that's all a façade. He's a good guy inside, full of dreams and hopes, and he's kind. He's kind to Rennie, and his somewhat bad boy/conceited asshole behaviour is his way of affection towards his guy friends. And while he and Lillia was developing, I just couldn't help but feel for him and see him in a new light. Sure, at first it was fake to Lillia, but it eventually started to become real for her, too... and our knowledge of that just made their relationship so heartrending.

I was pretty much like this all that time:

(view spoiler)

Yeah... that's pretty much it... hahaha.

I know, I'm only gushing about the romance. It was the highlight of the book and I think it was really written well. It made me just see the people I didn't like in a different light. But I guess the narration helped in making me feel this strongly, as the book was easy to read with very likeable voices. It's told in three POVs, three different girls, three different personalities, and they all stand out on their own. The book was very hard to put down, and I looked forward to every POV change, to see and witness the story unfold from a different pair of eyes... needless to say, it gave me quite a broader understanding of the situation.

And that ending... OMG, that ending. I think I've spoiled enough (I CAN'T HELP IT, OK?? I LOVED THE ROMANCE!! CAN I HAVE MY OWN REEVE PLEASE?! I'M ASIAN, TOO! >.<) so I won't say it, but goddamn that ending. I can't wait to see what else Han and Vivian have in store for us. Book 3 will be explosive, I tell you.

Do I recommend this? HELL YES. If you haven't read Book 1, get it now, and when September 3 comes, get this, too. Contemporary high school revenge/romance stories just can't get any better than this! <3

Final Verdict: 4.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire with Fire.

June 5, 2013 – Started Reading
June 5, 2013 – Shelved
page 15
2.9% "Holy crap. 518 PAGES?!?! I just realized. DAFUQ. but anyway... this is taking a paranormal turn, and I have no idea what to think about that."
page 74
14.31% "Lillia is so kickass right now I can't even"
page 98
18.96% "GAH! I want to know - does Lil end up with Alex?! She better! This is like Gossip Girl all over again with all the entangled relationships :))"
page 138
26.69% "OoooHhHhhh My Goodness! Is this for real? Am I feeling sorry for Reeve and actually wishing he didn't get what befell on him??!! OMG he's actually being a sweetie-patootie right now."
page 190
36.75% "I used to like Mary, but her revenge thing is reaaally going too far. To the point where you FORCE your friends to do something they're uncomfortable with? Dude, I'm sorry you got a shit past, but you don't use your friends like that. Ever. *gives middle finger*"
page 334
64.6% "GIRL THE FUCK.\n \n YOU GOT WAY DRUNK, GOT DATE RAPED BY STRANGERS, AND YOU BLAME YOURSELF?!?!?! YOU SAY IT WAS PARTLY YOUR FAULT FOR WANTING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME AND GETTING DRUNK?! THAT YOU CREATED THE SITUATION WHERE SOMETHING TERRIBLE COULD HAPPEN?!?!?!\n \n WHAT THE FLYING FUCK\n \n GIRL, YOU SOME KIND OF NEW STUPID OR SOMETHING?!?!\n \n QSDKBQSFBAPRBAPRBAPONOA"
page 344
66.54% "And just like that, my rage subsided thanks to this fucking heart-melting scene. Goddamn it, why can't I be Lillia ?? I'm asian, too! Haha."
June 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Cora (new)

Cora Tea Party Princess OK, I'm sold haha.

message 3: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose I need to read the first book before I tackle my ARC copy of this book, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Faye! :)

Faye, la Patata Read it soon, Rose!!! I really want to know what you think :D

Becca Ugggh. I need to get an ARC, stat. I can't wait til September, it's torture!

Faye, la Patata Ahhhh I feel for you, my friend. I can't wait until you finally read it!

message 7: by Leelo (new) - added it

Leelo Loves-Books i loved your points but i skipped the spoilers cuz i want to be surprised....im soo gonna enjoy this book

Courtney Ah I completely agree with everything you said. I fell IN LOVE with Reeve in this one and did a complete 180 from how I felt about him in book 1. Anyway, awesome review and I can't wait for book 3!!!

Jordan Omg, this book. Did Mary accidentally kill Rennie????

message 10: by Maddison (new)

Maddison @Jordan I don't think so but that is just me
Ps. I don't like reeve still. Team Alex all the way!

message 11: by Breanna (new)

Breanna Thompson Okay, so I'm just now reading this and I didn't read the first one. My librarian said I didn't have to in order to understand the first one - I did! But I also didn't. From reading this one I kind of thought up the first one but I'm going go read it. Anyway, this book...I had go pause a few times in the chapters go actually go over what's happening out loud. Some of the things that happened, I honestly didn't expect. And it was a perfect twist! I love books like these, the ones where you don't have any idea how it's going go end. I read it in one day it was that good. After I finished it I felt like crying. I was frantically turning the pages for more, disappointed I was left hanging. I just can't wait for tomorrow to come so I can get the other two books!