Aman's Reviews > How to Love

How to Love by Katie Cotugno

F 50x66

it was ok

Reviewed @ Enticed by Books

What an utter disappointment! How To Love was one of my most awaited reads of 2013, everything about this book, from the cover to the premises to the early feedback screamed that it was the perfect book for me. Second chance romance! Hell Yeah! That is my favorite type of romance and there has never been a time where I disliked a book featuring that, but I guess there is a first time for everything. How To Love and I started off at the wrong foot; from the first page, I didn't like anything about the story or the characters and the only reason I continued skimmed the second half was because I wanted to see how in the world would Sawyer redeem himself in Reena's eyes. The answer I got was a joke, but I'll get to that later.

How To Love opens up with Reena, a teen mom coming face to face with her daughter's father for the first time in three years. Reena and Sawyer had been dating in school when she got pregnant, but before she could tell Sawyer about the baby, he packed his bags and left town without telling anyone. His reasons and timing for leaving are still very unclear to me. Sawyer was not in good terms with his parents and after graduating high school he did nothing but party and drugs on daily/weekly basis. I get that he was frustrated with something, but why did he leave so suddenly. It made no sense! On top of that his attitude after his comeback was so insensitive and insincere towards Reena. If she was having a serious talk with him, Sawyer would just laugh of it or smile or smirk or something alone those lines and not take anything seriously. There was no way in hell I was going to like him even a tiny bit. Sawyer was in fact the biggest jerk I've ever come across and he is the number one reason for me not liking this book. He was a fucking piece of shit and I'm still clueless about what Reena saw in him. He had zero personality, he didn't care about anyone, and here's the winner, he took Reena to parties just so he could leave her amidst strangers and pop pills in the other room. You've got to be kidding me?!? But wait, here's the million dollar question: Why didn't Reena break up with him? Why did she put up with Sawyer's tactics everyday? He was bad news from the beginning and I don't believe for a second that he matured by the end. Sure the drugs were gone, but his attitude was a major problem.

Initially, Reena was a very sympathetic and sweet character, I loved how well she handled the motherhood role and truly enjoyed every second of her time with Hannah. Some of the flashback of her going through her pregnancy were very painful to read, but I admired her strength and courage for going through those tough times with a positive front and not backing down from responsibilities. But somewhere along the line, especially after Sawyer's return, Reena lost her independent self and starting acting like someone I don't like. The on and off emotions along with going back and forth between her current boyfriend and Sawyer was a real turn off. After a while, I stopped caring about her and it sucks because I really liked Reena.

Anyway, How To Love was a well written book, but my disinterest in the characters and the storyline along with the poor execution of that said story was what made this book a thumbs down read for me. This is probably one of the worst books I've read this year. It's sounds a bit harsh, but it is what it is. About the execution part, I wasn't a fan of how the before and after parts were handled. The time switch was so quick (after every other scene) and that made it difficult for me to grasp anything from either of those time periods. All in all, How To Love suffers from a "great cover, bad book" syndrome and I'm not confident in recommending it to anyone. But sure, if you're curious enough then do give it a try.

PS: I though about giving it 1 star but I've given way worst books that rating, so I guess it deserves a little more than that. Also, the review went too long and I forgot to talk about the ending, but in short it was ridiculous and I strongly hated how easily Reena forgave Sawyer.

A Copy was provided by the Publisher for an honest review. (Thank You!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Love.

June 5, 2013 – Shelved
June 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 17, 2013 – Started Reading
August 18, 2013 –
27.0% "Really NOT feeling it. Probably a 3 or less than that depending on what happens in the second half."
August 18, 2013 –
50.0% "Oh God. This book is so bad. I don't like anyone in it. It's probably going to be a DNF but I'll try to finish it tonight."
August 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Meganm922 Agreed. I hated Sawyer.