Ron's Reviews > Prentice Alvin

Prentice Alvin by Orson Scott Card

Jul 13, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, maps

** spoiler alert ** Uh-oh. Symptoms of the Robert Jordan syndrome. Verbal running in place. Story telling for the sake of storytelling (as opposed to advancing the story). This story could have been told neatly in half the words, but of course there was the obligatory recaps of the first two volumes.

Still engaging and fun. I love the alternate history of North America which Card has constructed as the backstory for this series.

One thing Card does very well is the internal dialogue of folks as they rationalize and justify their actions in terms of what they want to believe. For the most part Card leaves the reader to figure out who's kidding whom.

There's a love angle which, while central to the books, is totally out of the blue. The female has known the male for a long time, but all the male knows of her is twisted (intentionally) so he has no idea who she really is. What a great foundation for a relationship. Yet--yet our hero falls in love at the first opportunity without any clue to the reader why.

I'm also getting a bad feeling about this sought for Crystal City and who or what a Maker is. Is this how it feels to read L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction? Like you're getting into a big infomercial for his particular brand of reality?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prentice Alvin.

July 13, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 21, 2009 –
page 222
July 21, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Werner (last edited Jul 23, 2009 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Werner Ron, I haven't read your review yet, so as to avoid the spoiler(s), since I'm just starting Prentice Alvin --because of my schedule, I take a lot longer to finish a book than you do. :-) But when I'm done reading it, I'll look forward to comparing notes!

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron Enjoy!

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron I've been reading more the last few weeks as I recover from left knee surgery at the end of June. I'm getting around well now, which means my readings will decrease while hopefully my writing and painting will increase.

Werner Yes, more time to read is always the silver lining in the cloud of illness or surgery. But getting back to more writing and painting sounds like a fun agenda, too!

message 5: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron In fact, I received word this week that a watercolor of azaleas had been accepted into the Virginia Watercolor Society's annual show.

My writing goes less well.

Werner Cool news about the Virginia Watercolor Society show -- congratulations! Hang in there with your writing.