Helynne's Reviews > The Female Eunuch

The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer

Jul 13, 2009

Read in June, 1973

The Female Eunuch may seem a little dated by now, but back in the early 1970s when it first appeared, Australian feminist Germaine Greer really raised social consciousness with her ideas that women in various societies throughout history have been figuratively castrated (hence, the title), and forced to be much less in society than they should be. There are some really interesting facts and figures in Greer's study. I remember shortly after this book was published, Greer was a guest on William F. Buckley's TV interview show. He apparently felt so threatened by her as a strong (but sophisticated, low-key, and well-mannered) feminist that he attacked her at every turn, and would not even allow her to finish a sentence. He kept interrupting everything she tried to say before she could even respond to his accusations or make a point. I was never a big Buckley fan anyway, but I thought he was incredibly boorish and rude to Greer, who, as he knew when he invited her on the show, was only trying to defend some of the very valid points she made in her book about the treatment of women over the ages and how the situation was way overdue for a change. Some men just can't stand the threat of women speaking out in favor of their natural-born equality and rights, I suppose. Bravo, Greer, and double BOO on Buckley!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Female Eunuch.