Marie Hall's Reviews > How Beauty Loved the Beast

How Beauty Loved the Beast by Jax Garren

bookshelves: alpha-hero-done-right, book-crack

And so the saga comes to an end. I'm sort of conflicted about it. In some ways I think it was a perfect ending to a pretty fantastic series, in other ways I never felt like the world was as fully fleshed as I would have liked. You have the underlight and you have the atropos/anake. But the world feels very contemporary in other ways, so is the rest of the world just ignorant of the truth? That gods and goddesses exist, that magic is real and that it's all happening right underneath their noses? Also the inclusion of the Norse mythology into the book, while cool (only cause it hasn't been done to death like other myths have *cough Greek cough cough* seemed a little disjointed at times. I get that Hauk's faith revolved around his Norse heritage, that's awesome, but apart from Odin helping him out, the Norse gods didn't make appearances anywhere else in the book. The atropos/anake group is based off Greek mythos. So am I to assume that this is a case where all mythos is real? And if that's the case, why weren't other godly races hinted at?

See... I over think things sometimes. LOL. But I honestly did enjoy the book and getting sidetracked by the whole G/g aspect of the story is rather silly because at heart this series is a romance. And that I LOVED. Hauk is so horribly tortured, so scarred, so pitifully wonderful. Jolie is his complete antithesis. She's a firecracker, she's a vibrant red head, sexy, vivacious. He's the beast, she's his beauty. I just love that story arc and I could appreciate that in this series. It was hard seeing Hauk be so revolted by his looks, so terrified to let Jolie see him for what he really was.. but when I stop to consider I can't see a burn victim acting any other way than he did. This was a wonderfully hard book to read.

I'm satisfied with the conclusion, but I guess I was still hoping for more of the world to be explained, so that I could understand. It wasn't really sci-fi, fantasy, contempt, alternate, dystopian... but at the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter because what it was was a story of love and being able to see beyond the exterior into the true heart and soul of a person and realizing love is more than what the eye can behold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Beauty Loved the Beast.

June 4, 2013 – Started Reading
June 4, 2013 – Shelved
June 4, 2013 –
20.0% "Started last night. Love this series, will be sad to see it end. :("
June 5, 2013 –