Nic's Reviews > Late-Inning Home Run

Late-Inning Home Run by Stella K. Jefferson

bookshelves: mm, athletes-sports, collection, dreamspinner-purchased, zz-amazon-yes, short-story

Pretty short but doesn't feel rushed. It is great to see a story that is focused on older characters. It's a nice set-up too.

Jay and Craig had been together in high school but gone their separate ways. One married (for love) and had a family and the other had a long-term relationship with a man. They are both now alone, Jay losing his wife in an accident and Craig losing his partner of decades to cancer. Now 35 years later, Jay and Craig meet up again.

I loved the way Jay doesn't classify himself - love is love - he loved Craig and he loved his wife. I loved the way Craig had a committed relationship. I liked the way these older men were able to have a really hot sexual encounter and they just seemed to click, almost like they were meant to be. I liked the handling of Jay's son's response to seeing his Dad kissing another man.

All-in-all I really enjoyed this story and would have actually liked to see a longer book, further exploring this concept of love the second time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Late-Inning Home Run.

June 4, 2013 – Shelved