Yvette ~ Nose Stuck in a Book's Reviews > Wilde Nights in Paradise

Wilde Nights in Paradise by Tonya Burrows

bookshelves: a-r-c-current-and-upcoming

Books like Tonya Burrows’ Wilde Nights in Paradise are why I love Entangled’s Brazen line. The repartee between the heroes and heroines always proves to be amusing but any light-heartedness is counteracted with serious issues that give an added layer of depth to the two protagonists. Such is the case for Jude Wilde an Elizabeth “Libby” Pruitt, whose tumultuous relationship in Wilde Nights in Paradise recalls the adage that things aren’t always what they seem.
Marine-turned-private investigator for Wilde Security, Jude Wilde, is tasked with guarding Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Pruitt from a stalker possibly connected to one of her cases involving a dangerous criminal. The only complication with this scenario is their former relationship, which ended abruptly in tears and heartache. Eight years apart has done nothing to dispel their explosive chemistry, making for a memorable reunion, in which romantic feelings are stirred and old wounds are opened.
So begins the first of many bouts of what Burrows terms “argumental gymnastics” – an apt description for the verbal sparring that dominates the majority of conversations between Jude and Libby. Never have disagreements been as fun as when an infuriatingly charming tease engages in a battle of wits with a logical thinker whose livelihood depends on winning arguments. Jude takes a certain pleasure in antagonizing straight-laced Libby, endlessly needling her short fuse, and somehow managing to remain as likable as he is frustrating. Their love-hate relationship is a constant source of entertainment while also providing fuel to ignite their passionate love scenes.
As much as I like Libby’s character, Jude is the star of this book. Family included, everyone sees him as a perpetual screw-up, not bothering to discover the sweetness and sensitivity behind his carefully-constructed devil-may-care façade. I don’t normally make a habit of crying while reading books (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, aside), but Wilde Nights in Paradise had me teary eyed on more than one occasion. It’s easy to sympathize with Jude, whose pain and anguish is s gut-wrenchingly real and raw, it’s almost a tangible presence.
Wilde Nights in Paradise may be the first book I’ve read by Tonya Burrows but it won’t be my last. Her story is engaging, intense, funny, and heartbreaking; in short, it’s a spectacular start to an amazing new Brazen series set around a family of five brothers, each with distinct personalities. The one mistake Burrows makes is introducing them all at the start of the book, leaving me with no choice but to take occasional breaks to ponder the possibilities of future installments featuring the Wilde brothers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilde Nights in Paradise.

June 3, 2013 – Started Reading
June 3, 2013 – Shelved
June 3, 2013 – Shelved as: a-r-c-current-and-upcoming
June 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Tonya Burrows Aw, thanks so much for the amazing review. You just made this author's day! :D

Yvette ~ Nose Stuck in a Book Tonya wrote: "Aw, thanks so much for the amazing review. You just made this author's day! :D"

Thanks for reading! I'll be posting this one my blog on the 6th. http://ycervera.blogspot.com/