Jay Douglass's Reviews > Office of Price Administration Tokens: Complete Image Resource & Checklist

Office of Price Administration Tokens by Wayne A. Cekola II

M 50x66

Unlike our recent wars, there was a time when all of America as a Nation, was part of the sacrifice.
In World War II, Americans gladly sacrificed in the form of rationing.
World War II OPA Tokens (Office of Price Administration) were used for as a method to regulate or ration how much any given family could buy. This rationing was done because of the shortages that were caused due to the war effort.

In Wayne Cekola's insightful book-Office of Price Administration Tokens: Complete Image Resource & Checklist, he details the history of these seldom discussed- tokens.

Like some coins these tokens have a numismatic value to collectors,since there are so few around anymore.

Even more important to me after reading this book is how sadly my generation and ones that have followed are oblivious to this period back in the States where everyone had a stake in the war,whether they were actually in combat fighting Nazi Germany.

The idea of rationing gasoline or food is foreign to present day America. We have a voluntary military now, with a relatively few number of soldiers doing multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.
They are almost invisible to so many of us.

We go on with our lives encouraged to spend money at the mall or buying cars,or whatever, with little thought what came before in what is referred to as "The Greatest Generation." Those who fought for us in WWII gave us the freedom we have today.

So my takeaway from Cekola's splendid book is the metaphor of what the tokens represented, rather than the actual objects themselves.
That said, others will see the collector value of these OPA tokens, and that is also fine.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Office of Price Administration Tokens.

Started Reading