Michael's Reviews > Hummingbirds

Hummingbirds by Joshua Gaylord

Jul 12, 2009

Read in August, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hummingbirds.

Michael Gaylord tackles a well worn subject, the microcosm of life at an exclusive Manhattan private girls' school. Focusing on the English Department teachers, most notably the formerly sole beloved male teacher, Mr. Binhammer, and new kid on the block and rival teacher, the aptly named Ted Hughes, Gaylord proceeds to show how little difference between teacher and student exists. A couple of the students are particularly memorable, including Dixie Doyle, ringleader of the alliterative pack with her ironic pigtails and ever-present lollipop, and Liz Warren, brilliant and disdainful, author the this year's play, a retelling of the Oresteia. Naturally the book sees the girls growing up, but the teachers seem to be regressing. When a secret between Binhammer and Hughes comes to light it sends the characters spinning on surprising, yet somehow inevitable arcs. Great, clever prose in an immensely readable book that treads familiar ground in a fresh, rewarding way.

message 2: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Michael, would you guest blog for Roaring 20s and write about Hummingbirds? Please please please?

You can literally copy and paste that review-- let me know!

Michael Kayleigh wrote: "Michael, would you guest blog for Roaring 20s and write about Hummingbirds? Please please please?

You can literally copy and paste that review-- let me know!"

Hey Kayleigh,

I'd be glad to! Just tell me what to do. I will basically use this review but flesh it out a little. And should I identify myself at all?