Karen's Reviews > Crossing Bok Chitto

Crossing Bok Chitto by Tim Tingle

F 50x66

Crossing Bok Chitto is a book about a young Choctaw girl, Martha Tom, who is sent out to find blueberries for her mother. Since she can not find any on her side of the river, Martha Tom crosses the Bok Chitto River. She not only finds blueberries, but she also find a slave church ceremony. When she is discovered, Little Mo's dad asks Little Mo to help her get back across the river. The two develop a friendship, and she crosses the river many times to see him. When Little Mo's mother is sold to another plantation, Little Mo has the idea that the family should escape to freedom by Crossing Bok Chitto. He leads his family to the river, past the guards and dogs. He gets across the river and gets help from Martha Tom and her mother. When they cross not a single shot is fired because of the scene that is taking place.

I thought this story was beautiful. I loved how the characters developed a friendship. I loved how the Choctaw helped the slaves escape. It was very creative and was not just a "get across the river fast" type of escape. It would be a beautiful sight to see.

In the note at the end of the story, it is stated that this book is "written by Indian voices and painted by an Indian artist". I find it interesting that the art does not depict the differences in the two nationalities; instead, it seems to show the similarities. I believe this was done to show that we are all human, and it was not a Choctaw helping a slave, it was a human helping another human.

Beautifully told and beautifully illustrated, I would recommend this book to grades 2-6. I think those students would be able to understand the difficulty that this friendship was and also appreciate the struggles that each go through to help their friend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Bok Chitto.

Started Reading
June 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 3, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Bange You did a fine job of "selling" this book the other day; I had to go read it. You nailed this one, girl!