Amy S's Reviews > A Spear of Summer Grass

A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn

it was ok

I still think that Deanna Raybourn is a great author with a lot of skill, great character development, and a master at witty repartee. She just lost me here. Didn't love it.

Delilah Drummond is not a likeable character, along with 90% of the characters in the book. This is not a dealbreaker by any means, but there just wasn't the growth that I'd hoped for with this character, who began with a lot of potential. Ryder (a pun, I am guessing?), the romantic interest is a cardboard cut-out who likes to tell Delilah how he could rape her and then throw her in the bushes for the animals and no one would know. Man, I love it when a man threatens to rape me. Sexy time!

Raybourn suffered from tell me and not show me. She loves to point out that Delilah may be many things, but she is NOT a racist to the poor indigenous Africans, unlike everyone else. Then there is Africa. Instead of allowing the country to be it's own character, we are constantly told that Africa is dangerous, and huge, and changes people. And if I had a dollar for every time she told us "There are two kinds of people in Africa..." or "We are all broken in Africa," or "There are two kinds of people in Africa" or "We are all damaged in Africa, or "There are two kinds of people in Africa," or "Africa is a hard place," or "Africa will go on without you," or "There are two kinds of people in...." never mind.

Lovely ending though. Really.

For sensitive readers: Lots of rough sex, lots of damaged people doing damaged things ("Everyone is broken in Africa"), and lots of lion sex. Seriously. Everything you ever wanted to know about lion sex but were afraid to ask. Remember, there are two kinds of lions in Africa...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spear of Summer Grass.

June 2, 2013 – Shelved
June 2, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 6, 2013 – Started Reading
September 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I'm not a fan of Raybourn, so there's no chance of me reading this, but greatly enjoyed your review (much more then I've ever enjoyed her writing)

Excellent, witty review Amy!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy S Haha -- I'm beginning to wonder if I have been overly generous in the past. Maybe post-baby hormones skewed my judgement?? ;)

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Sep 25, 2013 12:40PM) (new)

Hannah Not at all! Raybourn has alot of fans - I think I'm in the minority with her for sure.

I just don't like her style of writing and DETESTED Brisbane from the Lady Julia series. From what you indicated above, Ryder sounds like he's cut from the same cloth! I like alpha males (but not alpha d-bags), yet Raybourn seems to think that kind of hero is swoon worthy...NOT!!
:D

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah About those lions...

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy S HAHAHA THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I am dying. After that book and this picture, I am now an official expert on lion sex!!

message 6: by Hannah (last edited Sep 25, 2013 03:39PM) (new)

Hannah Amy wrote: "...I am now an official expert on lion sex!!"

A dubious distinction, but everyone needs to be expert on something - haha!

That being said, what's your take on "The Lion King"?
:D