E's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta

liked it
bookshelves: bea-2013, scifi, young-adult

"It's like Firefly, and the main character has an electric guitar," was what I heard about this book at BEA, so I was absolutely up for this.

It lived up to its promise. A fun science fiction adventure, with the promised guitar, interesting alien races, menacing bad guys and a good ensemble spaceship crew. I'm a big fan of some of the perils the worldbuilding creates.
Though on reflection, I think it was more reminiscent of Farscape than Firefly. In a way that worked for me.

Thing that didn't altogether work: the central conceit of "Entangled," and what that means when two people are "entangled"... got a little murky for me. I wasn't sure what it actually meant in terms of powers conferred on people, and had some trouble decoding what it meant as a relationship: siblings? lovers? Although the events of the plot don't clearly telegraph a sequel (which is a huge point in this book's favor, set against most of the rest of YA lit, lately), I wonder if a sequel might more clearly explain how someone who is "entangled" can use that in this universe.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

June 2, 2013 – Shelved