Ari's Reviews > These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: cover-love, best-of, aussie-and-nz, arc-galley-or-author, movie-to-be
Read 2 times. Last read December 15, 2013.

This book reminds me why I love reading so much.

...How trilling it is to dive into a new story, a new world, new lives and new adventures that leave me breathless every time!

This was such an unusual & original story! I have nothing to measure it against. It was nothing like I thought it would be. The world building is awesome, the action is trilling, the characters are strong and determined, the turnarounds made me tear a bit and the ending left me full of hope.

THESE BROKEN STARS tells a story about survival, about love, about deadly secrets and hope that can make a heart beat again. I fell for this book from the beginning and, as the story progressed, I simply couldn’t stop reading.

To put it simple, we have our sweet couple (the rich girl and the famous -but poor- soldier) thrown into an unknown & mostly unwelcome world, surviving a deadly accident (that might or might not have left other survivors) and being forced to cooperate in order to keep alive, which turns out to be hard when they each of them is as stubborn as a mule.
... But to be honest, this story is anything but ‘simple’.

So, we find a bit about the society in which our characters live, with the ups and downs on both sides. We find about their fears and hopes. We find about the mysteries of this new planet. We watch our characters struggle to move on and find a way back home. And yes, slowly they start to also fall in love, and it’s a bitter-sweet story because there is a lot of pride in the middle and some secrets to fear of. Not to mention that there’s a world of a problem that could tear them apart.

Still, what I really loved in this book is watching these broken characters start healing through what they’re forced to survive together – they grow stronger, more defined with each page and they start to see this world and the freedom it offers with different eyes.

I am glad that the next book won’t be about the same couple (or so I heard) as they’ve been through too much, through hell and back and I want to keep hoping.

Well, I am no fool here, I know that this will not be the end of their story, someone that has built such an empire won’t so easily be set off track, not with the secrets Lilac and Tarver share, not with the truth about her. But I’d like to be left guessing, I love this feeling of closure & hope and I am gonna stick with it for as long as I can.

Conclusion:
From the fabulous cover, the magical world and the beautiful characters to the terrible turnarounds and fantastic plot, this story is absolutely great. My kind of book. No... my kind of favourite book and I recommend it from the bottom of my heart!

Happy midnight reading!

* Read the full review at: ReadingAfterMidnight.com
** ARC received from the publisher for review. Thank you!
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

My fanmade artwork:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Broken Stars.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 2, 2013 – Shelved
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of
May 20, 2014 – Shelved as: aussie-and-nz
October 22, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-galley-or-author
November 2, 2014 – Shelved as: movie-to-be
November 9, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: recenzii-ro (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali I loved this book! Can't wait for book 2

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I finished reading the second one yesterday and I think most people will like it better than this one - more characters, more action, more turnarounds; different planet, different setup, different vibe.

It would be hard to pick a favourite, I loved the slow building in this one, but I also loved the action in the second one too. And the characters were great in both of them.

Hope that you will enjoy it too. :)