Sarah Bringhurst's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

liked it
bookshelves: food

Three stars, because this book can only be described as uneven. On the one hand, I was absolutely fascinated by the Kingsolver family's adventures in producing most of their own food for an entire year. Probably because I already had my own fantasies about moving to a farm and subsisting on my own heirloom vegetables and heritage farm animals. I loved the recipes and seasonal menus, as well as the practical information on homesteading, including hilarious accounts of things like mushroom hunting, using zucchini, and breeding turkeys. And of course I related to the trip to Italy.

On the other hand, judgmental much? Really, who is she to talk if my daily vice happens to be bananas rather than coffee? The constant preaching (even if with me it was largely preaching to the choir) kind of ruined what could have been a really good book. The Kingsolver family (the book is co-authored by her husband and daughter) come across as supercilious, fanatical, and completely out of touch with the reality of most people's lives. And sorry, but they are way too eccentric and uneven in their application of moral principles to really be taking the kind of moral high ground that they do. The effect was probably heightened by the fact that I listened to the audiobook of this one, so I heard the litany falling from the very lips of the authors.

In sum, there's lots of wonderful information here, much of it very engagingly presented, but only if you can get past the egregious tone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

June 2, 2013 – Started Reading