C.G. Drews's Reviews > Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, adult, contemporary, historical-fiction, read-2014, autism

Wow. Just wow. This is one of those books that really belong on my BEST OF shelf and that will probably stay with me forever. I wanted to read it because of the movie. Of course I knew it'd be different, but I still wanted to know what inspired that aaaamazing movie.

description

The writing is both awesome and impossible. I'm SO glad I listened to this instead of read it! I appreciate the style the author does with the formatting...but, let's be honest: it's crazy. Half the time, there's no paragraphs between Oskar's narration. The grandma's letters don't have indents. The grandfather's pages sometimes have 1 sentence per page. It. is. crazy. And therefore beautiful (because I totally see the beauty in crazy). I just think my brain would have exploded if I'd read it myself. Plus the audio was AMAZINGLY voiced. There was a different voice for each 3 narrator's and the accents were fantastic for the German grandparents.

The book has 3 stories narrate by: Oskar Schell, his grandmother, and his grandfather. I didn't know the grandparents played such a huge roll in the book, because their part was cut out in the movie (I understand why). It's all incredibly interesting, but I did find the grandfather's parts slow sometimes. The entire book is such a tragedy. Seriously. I wanted to cry. all. the. time. It's a story of pain and love, and dang, does that make it hard to not weep all over the CDs. I wanted so desperately for things to work out in the end...but I won't tell you how it ends, because, duh, SPOILERS. Just know that it's an extremely and incredibly (ha ha, pun) told journey. And totally sad.
description

I love how the author doesn't explain anything to the reader. That always impresses me. I hate it when authors dumb down their readers and "explain" all those critical details. Let us figure it out for ourselves! This author does an incredible job of implying things, tying them together, and then making your soul bleed and stuff.

On the grandparents front, heck did the (view spoiler)

I understand how this book wouldn't float everyone's boat. To be honest, it can be a) slow and b) there are some "what on earth does this have to do with the story" moments. But I thought it was highly unique, beautifully written, with a heart-breaking story and...Oskar.
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

May 31, 2013 – Shelved
May 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
February 10, 2014 – Started Reading
February 10, 2014 –
page 87
26.69% "Listening to it on audio. BEST decision, I think. I love the thought-patterns and it's a lot more detailed then the movie (obviously). But gee, Oskar would be so hard to live with..."
February 11, 2014 –
page 187
57.36% "This isn't really like the movie... I like it. But there's a LOT of story about the Grandma/Grandpa that I didn't know would be there. It's quite a sad book."
February 16, 2014 –
page 250
76.69% "I find it incredibly ironic that the book mentions Tom Hanks...and then he plays the dad in the movie."
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of-2014
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: adult
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
February 25, 2014 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2015 – Shelved as: autism

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

C.G. Drews @Mawa: BEST MOVIE EVER ACTUALLY.

Veerle Jansen One of my faves!!