kari's Reviews > The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan

2207055

bookshelves: 2009, ya, 5-star
Recommended for: older teens and adults
Read 2 times. Last read July 13, 2009.

I think this book was "moon-good beautiful." The characters grabbed me from the first page and kept my interest all the way through. I thought they were well-developed and grew in lots of great ways during the course of the story. I couldn't read it fast enough, wanting to know what happened next.
The characters of Raven and Marnie, both injured in different ways from the world they live in, each struggling to make a life, are people you want to see succeed. All the various threads are pulled together by the final pages and the ending was just right.
I would recommend this story for adults as well as older teens. I know this says it is for children 12 and over but I think it has some very adult themes and situations which would not be suitable for younger teens, in my opinion.
I enjoyed this book so much that I didn't want it to end and will look for more from Sherryl Jordan. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raging Quiet.

Finished Reading
July 13, 2009 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
December 31, 2009 – Shelved as: ya
May 7, 2010 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Albie46 Sherryl Jordan was my another of my fav authors in highschool. She's actually a NZ author - lives here still I believe.
My favourite of her books is Secret Sacrament, but I see that that one gets really mixed reviews!
I'm interested to know what you think of this one.

kari Albie46 wrote: "Sherryl Jordan was my another of my fav authors in highschool. She's actually a NZ author - lives here still I believe.
My favourite of her books is Secret Sacrament, but I see that that one gets..."

I have just come across her books and so far, I'm enjoying this one. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Albie46 I'm glad you really liked the book. YOur review makes me want to read it again! I read it so many years ago and can barely remember it, so maybe if I reread it as an adult, I might even upgrade my rating.

message 4: by Albie46 (last edited Jul 13, 2009 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Albie46 I think I would have been about 18 when this book first came out, but if it had come out eariler, I would have read it eariler. I was 11 when I started reading Jordan's books, and then just read them as they were released.

The age rating thing is a hard one I think. Often I notice lots of 1 star ratings are from parents who have issues with the content of books in the YA category, and don't think they are suitable for their children.
Twilight here is shelved in some stores in the 8-12 year old section - I suspect that's an oversight.
Perhaps books need to have ratings on them?
I saw Gone the other day in the store and it had a little label on it that said "Contains scenes of violence and cruelty". That was a new one for me! It's probably a good idea though - you know, people can be more informed and choose films based on ratings - why not books?

Albie46 How'd you get 10 stars on your review? It's showing as 10 stars at the moment. I guess you really did like this book! Lol!

message 6: by kari (last edited Jul 14, 2009 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

kari Albie46 wrote: "How'd you get 10 stars on your review? It's showing as 10 stars at the moment. I guess you really did like this book! Lol!"

I have no idea how I gave it ten stars, I thought five was the limit!

I think that's great that they are putting some notices on books of the content, that's a good idea.

kari I'm so glad you liked it. IT's one of the best I read last year. It really touched me.