Heather Faye's Reviews > Cast in Secret

Cast in Secret by Michelle Sagara

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read 3 times. Last read August 7, 2009.

This will be the written review for Cast in Shadow Chronicles of Elantra Book 1 by Michelle Sagara West and it's series partners, Cast in Courtlight Chronicles of Elantra Book 2, Cast in Secret Chronicles of Elantra Book 3, Cast in Shadow Chronicles of Fury Book 4, and Cast in Silence Chronicles of Elantra Book 5.

I read this series three times. It was engaging but had a few annoying issues. The world of Elantra was well created and very detailed. I admired the multiple species and the troublesome interactions they had to encounter. I thought the author had a wonderful idea for a series of books and I very much enjoyed the stories.

However, these books, in my opinion, were not edited nearly hard enough. Sentences ran along for paragraphs at a time. The use of the hyphen was used annoyingly often and sometimes incorrectly. I do not lay these errors at the authors feet. These are things that should have been fixed in the editing process and were not. An author becomes close to their work. Perhaps with some tough editing these could have been great books. Instead, they were average books and not ones I would recommend to the average fantasy reader. I read them because I knew I had things to gain in world development from them.

The other highly bothersome issue was in naming. There were numerous character's named similarly and it caused some confusion in the reading. This is really a pet peeve and not something I would judge a book on solely. However, with other issues, it just creates a more confusing read. All in all, if you are a die hard fantasy fan or plan to write in the genre, these are worth a gander, otherwise, not so much. Each book is stared for it's individual story enjoyment. Without the editing problems, they would have scored much higher in my opinion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Secret.

Finished Reading