Jennifer's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Amy Keen

2951978
May 30, 2013

bookshelves: paranormal, ya, reviewed

Ashes, the exciting, spellbinding sequel to Embers, is a pulse-pounding, heart stopping thrill ride. While initially I was thrown off by the setting change, from Salem to France, I quickly saw the parallels between the new and old world. And the setting, much like the new characters and conflicts, broaden Scarlett’s world and our vision. We get to see more of the mysterious people, like Scarlett, who have been hunted for centuries for their inherent powers. Paris is explored above and below with horrifying pictures reminiscent of “The Cask of Amontillado.”
Enjoyable to me was seeing Scarlett and Jake’s relationship progress, strain and twist against the challenges they face at first apart, then together. Conversely, her “relationship” with Elias was intriguing, at times frustrating and eventually compelling. Once he got over his emo phase, at least. Like Scarlett, I’m very curious to peel apart his layers.
What I liked best in this book was seeing Scarlett come into her own. She grows so much as a character from the beginning of Embers and to this point, it’s almost hard to believe she’s the same girl. She doesn’t just sit around and let people handle the tough stuff for her, but takes after trouble with slightly martyr like tendencies. Another thing about the characters that I appreciate is that they talk, for the most part, like real people. They get frustrated and don’t finish their sentences sometimes, or their thoughts. And again, I enjoyed Scarlett’s perspective shifting from thought to words, much as we do in real life.
So many twists and turns in this high speed chase of a novel, my mind is still spinning with the final revelation. I would like to report that I expected that twist, but I was completely blindsided and expecting things to end on a tense, but lovey-dovey note. Thankfully, as Ms. Keen has already proven, Ashes dares to revel in its darkness, with the promise of more to tantalize.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

May 30, 2013 – Shelved