Valerie's Reviews > Once a Princess

Once a Princess by Sherwood Smith

bookshelves: fantasy

I think this book, with all its flair and its unique character, is best described by the warning written on the back cover:

"Warning: This title contains a kick-butt mother-daughter team, a wicked king, a witty pirate with an unfortunate taste for neon colors, inept resistance fighters, a dreamy prince who gallops hither and yon, and a kick-butt princess-in-waiting."

These claims, all true, are what make "Once a Princess" unforgettable. Sasha is a girl who doesn't take things sitting down, and her POV is delightful - and by delightful I mean witty, critical, honest, and most of all, laughing-my-ass-off funny. I felt like a trusted friend while I was privy to her thoughts, and the rest of the characters are unique to say the least. "unfortunate taste in neon colors" indeed!

Riveting in all the good ways. I didn't think a book where an LA girl entered a fantasy world could be good, but Sherwood Smith pulls it off. An instant favorite, with many acute observations on love, life, attraction, and government that struck a chord with me. I can't wait to read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once a Princess.

Started Reading