misha's Reviews > Jesus Land: A Memoir

Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

bookshelves: finished, bookclub, onedayreads, memoirs, loved-it, 2007

Such a tragic, heart breaking story that once again, just makes me want to go find some kid and just hug them. The amount of abuse that these kids went through made for a tough read. It's interesting to read this after The Glass Castle and Running with Scissors, other stories about equally difficult childhoods, but each author had different ways to protect themselves. Running with Scissors was about using humor in the face of pure shit. Glass Castle had indeed, a wall around how awful a childhood could be. Julia's story was about staying alive by staying together... and losing that too. I'll remember this story for a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Land.

Started Reading
September 17, 2007 – Shelved as: onedayreads
February 1, 2008 – Shelved as: memoirs
February 1, 2008 – Shelved as: loved-it
February 4, 2008 – Shelved as: 2007

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Daniel good!

Rose While I was supposed to read this for bookclub awhile ago, I just finished it.

I have to second your review, Misha. This book was so touching, sad and yet, heartwarming. I just wanted to give her a hug.

Tesla That program in the Dominican Republic is NOT abusive. I was there, so trust me, I know. The staff there are wonderful and amazing and they love their students and truly want to help them. She just wanted to find a way to get attention.