Renee's Reviews > Unexpected

Unexpected by Faith Sullivan

Unexpected is just that totally unexpected. The premise is a girl Michelle who has struggling parents. They do anything to get her into NYU and she goes. She has a small apartment and is embracing college life. Not long into her college life the attacks of September 11th happen. This send Michelle into a cocoon. She stays in her apartment for a long time cut off, nobody to talk to nobody s\to share her emotions with. She is so amazingly frightened that she leaves and goes back to Pennsylvania.
She gets in touch with Connor who has his own post 9/11 story to tell. He is going through his own grief and masked this by attempting to help Michelle. I dont want to lose focus of the plot and the story. Faith tells an amazingly accurate account of these events. For a New Yorker who went through these events I will say that for the first week after 9/11 it was like the entire state of New York closed. The schools were closed and the speculation of what happened and the enormity of it didn't sink in. No matter the outcome it is a glimpse of the people who were directly and indirectly connected to a loss or just mourning the New York that once was. Knowing that several of my family members worked there and were also involved in construction of the towers, it is something forever in our hearts,

I need to make mention of another character in particular that was Miguel. He was sort of a sub character but his story was wonderfully told. BRAVO to Faith I love her and I am such a fan girl I am blown away by this one. A must read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unexpected.

May 30, 2013 – Shelved