Jo's Reviews > Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: middle-grade

This is a charming and engaging book, especially for younger readers. I read it to my six-year-old, who couldn't get enough of it. And then I sat down and read it again, just for me. It's the kind of story you can read again and again, and still enjoy.

One of the things that pleasantly surprised me about this story is how true to traditional Norse stories it is. The tale itself builds on and extrapolates one of the stories from the Prose Edda, doing a great job of building on said story and keeping to the feel and the theme of the original.

As with many Norse stories, it's the ability to out-think your opponent, to trick them into doing what you want them to do, that is the highlight of the tale. Gaiman builds this element into the story beautifully, and imparts many important lessons in the process.

While it's a short book for an adult -- and a very simple tale -- I highly recommend it for middle grade readers and anyone with a love of Norse legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odd and the Frost Giants.

Started Reading