Jen's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

This story was most excellent. I really, really enjoyed it. It was very gripping, very suspenseful, just very, very good. I loved it!

Tears started pooling on page 547, and by page 549 (the final page) and the final sentence, they were falling pretty steadily. :-)

Ismae was a fabulous heroine. And I really loved Duval. He and Ismae are perfect for one another. :-)

This book was pretty long, but I never once felt that it was too long. Everything that happened, and there was a LOT going on, was oh-so-important to this story and really just super thrilling to read about. Full of traitors and machinations of all sorts, some were obvious, while others were more insidious (and stayed hidden longer).

This book was really just delightful. Ismae almost had me laughing a number of times, and I did laugh a little on page 17, when the Abbess tells Ismae, "We kill people," and Ismae is so shocked that she drops her goblet and it shatters on the floor. Something about how this scene was written just tickled me and I had to laugh. :-)

And then, 530 pages later, I found myself in tears at the end. On page 547, (view spoiler) And then we have the ending. Sooo satisfying and wonderful and I cried for real after reading the final word.

I'll share the final two paragraphs, though, to give you (and myself) the full ending: (view spoiler)

This ending just filled me up with so much goodwill and happiness that it spilled over into happy tears. :-)

I was astonished to learn that Anne, Duchess of Brittany, was (view spoiler) And I was sad that (view spoiler) This is book one in a series, though, isn't it? So hopefully book two will (view spoiler)

I had sort of hoped that (view spoiler) in this book, especially now that it's over and I'm otherwise so happy about how it ended. But since this is a series, I suppose it makes sense that this was left for book two (I hope).

In sum, this was a fabulous story. I really just loved it. :-)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

May 29, 2013 – Shelved
May 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 29, 2013 – Shelved as: pan-group-reads
January 23, 2014 – Shelved as: x2014-02-pkc-recommends-challenge
February 18, 2017 – Started Reading
February 18, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-historical-fiction
February 18, 2017 –
page 189
34.36% "This story is super interesting so far, and seems very fast-paced. I wish I was better about ignoring distractions. I'd be further into it if I was. As it is, I'm going to pause here for the night. But again, I'm really enjoying this book so far!"
February 19, 2017 –
page 549
100.0% "I finished this book before midnight, on the 19th, but I had tears in my eyes and needed to stop crying before recording my status update. This was a most excellent story. I really loved it. It was indeed a fast-paced story, and I am very pleased that, despite its length, I never felt like I was "ready for it to be over already!" Again, this book was just excellent. :-)"
February 19, 2017 – Shelved as: books-that-make-me-cry
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: stars-5-outstanding-or-amazing
July 12, 2017 – Shelved as: x1st-half-2017-5-star-books
September 7, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017

Ksenia I'm so happy you liked the book. It is one of my most favorites :) Ismae and Duval are perfect indeed. The sond book is very good too, thought much more dark in tone. Each book features different couple. And trust me, you wouldn't be disappointed with the next one. I have to admit I like the 3rd somewhat less. Annith is just not my type of a heroine. But it still worth reading for the everybody's story conclusion. Oh, about the age. Actually it is mentioned that Ismael and her friends a bit old then the average age for young woman of that age. Anne didn't live to her 30's and she was Queen of France twice.

Ksenia Ups, she did lived to her 30's...

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Thanks, Ksenia! I was on the fence over whether to read book two or not, but you've convinced me to give it a try. :-)

And I know girls got married and were considered "adults" far younger back then, but it was still a shock to me to learn that Anne was that young. ;-)