Crowinator's Reviews > The Autumn Castle

The Autumn Castle by Kim Wilkins

Jul 08, 2009

bookshelves: arcs, faeries-elves-goblins, fantasy, urban-fantasy, 2010-reads, adult

I talked up The Veil of Gold so much when it came out that my children's librarian friend at work lent me her ARC of this earlier, UK-published book. I had a hard time getting in to it at first because I didn't care for faery May. I never found her as likable as the other characters; she was always too self-involved to be truly sympathetic. Then again, this isn't really a fault with the book, and I enjoyed the ending, where the happiness May imagined and schemed for doesn't quite live up to reality; it's also appropriate that Christine, the other protagonist who has a tough life and strives to stop being a victim, has the true happy ending. Wilkins excels at integrating the modern world with folklore (here a fascinating array of European faery lore) and creating believable, flawed characters. Mandy Z, the faery serial killer who is the third narrator, even had a few sympathetic moments among the horror that he perpetuates. This is an excellent modern fairy tale and highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autumn Castle.

July 8, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
January 6, 2010 –
page 273
60.94% "It's really getting good now!"
January 8, 2010 – Shelved as: arcs