Taschima's Reviews > The Young Elites

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

bookshelves: bea-2014

The Young Elites Excerpt

"I am tired of losing. I am tired of being used, hurt, and tossed aside.
It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.
My turn"

The Young Elites introduces us into a world that is part Victorian part Dystopian and ALL Fantasy.. The Dystopian part is kind of reminiscent of the Legend world; same gritty atmosphere. It has the rules that categorize the Victorian area (like girl's not being able to govern themselves and instead they are sold/traded for money, status, power, etc.) but in a world where a strange decease attacked humanity and either killed its recipients or left them scarred for life. Adelina is one of those scarred people, and because she is one of the Malfetto her father is planning to give her away to make his life easier. Adelina manages to escape the grasp of her father, but at a high price. She is saved by the Young Elites, a group of special malfettos who survived the fever with special powers. The Young Elites however do not save Adelina from the kindess of their hearts; they know she has power and they want to use it. Adelina soon is stuck between two impossible decisions, should she betray the Young Elites and save those she loves or should she join them and forsake those who have left her behind?

“Violetta was afraid of thunder.

When we were very little, she would sneak into my bedchamber whenever a storm rolled through. She’d climb into my bed, wake me, an curl her little body against mine, and I’d wrap an arm around her and hum out mother’s lullaby as the storm raged outside. I’m not ptoud to admit it, but I’ve always liked her helplessness. It made me feel powerful. In those small moments, I was the better one”

Adelina is an extremely fucked up character. She is not what we have come to expect from our YA heroines; Fragile, a pure soul that will make everything better. Instead I am a little scared she might make everything WORSE... and not because she is dumb, but because she has a darkness inside her that is wanting to consume her whole. She craves acceptance, having been marked a malfetto, and power. She was abused by her father while growing up, simply because she was one of the unlucky few who got hit with the Fever and survived (minus an eye). Her sister was also hit with the fever but while she came out the same on the other side Adelina was forever marred.

"I know who you really are.
Who will ever want you, Adelina?

As her father continuously repeated to her no one in their right mind would want her, marry her, or accept her. She was garbage and anything fate decided to throw her way she should be happy to get. Verbal abuse wasn’t the only kind the father liked to impart however; he also broke one of her fingers when she was very young. So Adelina is justifiably screwed up. You can clearly see this in the way she feels about her sister, both love and resentment, stemming from the fact that her father idolized her little sister while he beat Adelina to a pulp. This also shows on the way she distrusts those around her. Kindness is not something that is given to her without something being taken in return.

"They all want to use you, use you until they get what they want, and then they will toss you aside."

The relationship between Adelina and her sister, Violetta, is sick and twisted. Then again, the whole book kind of is. It doesn’t follow what we’ve come to expect from YA novels, the “YA Rules” if you will. The heroine is not much of a role model, it has plenty of violence and it doesn’t shy away from bloody details… It really is the origin of a villain's tale. Marie Lu gets brownie points for originality alone.

Something that is truly fascinating about The Young Elites is that in the book there is no absolutely clear good guy. The Young Elites kill to get what they want and need; they want to de-throne the current false King and put a Malfetto one in his place. They will use any and all tools at their disposal, even if this tool happens to be human. If the tool is faulty, doesn't work, or doesn't reach its potential then guess what? They dispose of it. So Adelina is facing danger from all sides, from the Inquisitors that want to get rid of all Elites and normal Malfettos and from the Young Elites who might get rid of her anyways if she doesn't work out. She has no one she can really trust.

Except maybe Enzo Valenciano, the potential love interest. Enzo is distant and slightly cold, which makes it really ironic that his power is to wield fire. I loved how Marie Lu wrote him in a way that seemed real though. He is no prince charming, he has a goal like everybody else. Adelina is not the first girl who has crossed his path, he may have loved and lost. Is she his perfect fit? Is he hers? That is a question which is still left unanswered. The book is not huge on the romance; it is a small part of it.

The ending! It was completely unexpected to say the least. I really didn't think Marie Lu was going to go there (view spoiler) but she totally did and with no remorse. It definitely left me craving for the sequel...

As I stated in one of my updates as I was reading, if this is wrong then I don't want to be right. I applaud Marie Lu for creating an engaging world with it's own rules and traditions. She again did not disappoint. The Young Elites stands on its own.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Young Elites.

May 28, 2013 – Shelved
May 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 25, 2014 – Shelved as: bea-2014
September 23, 2014 – Started Reading
page 78
21.08% ""I know who you really are. Who will ever want you, Adelina?\n My fury heightens. Everyone. They will cower at my feet, and I will make them bleed."\n \n This girl is DARK. We have the makings of a villain."
page 88
23.78% "Wow, this is an incredibly dark book. I am liking it!"
page 104
28.11% ""The darkness bows to me, eager for my embrace. I close my eye, open my heart to the feeling, and soak in the delight of vengeance.""
page 214
57.84% "Let's just say if this is wrong I don't want to be right..."
page 333
90.0% ""They all want to use you, use you until they get what they want, and then they will toss you aisde.""
page 334
90.27% ""I am tired of losing. I am tired of being used, hurt, and tossed aside.\n It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.\n My turn""
page 336
September 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sarah Just wait for it... all the darkness

Kalla [A Bookish Nerd] I can't wait to read this!

Laurie –A Court of Books– I'm so afraid to be spoiled by your review!!!!! I won't read it now but with your rating, I'll definitely read this book :D

message 4: by Taschima (last edited Sep 26, 2014 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taschima Laurie wrote: "I'm so afraid to be spoiled by your review!!!!! I won't read it now but with your rating, I'll definitely read this book :D"

Oh! I only hit the spoiler button cause I am still working on the review and when you hit the button it hides it! >.< I'm working on it though! I mostly write reviews without spoilers ;)

Sarah So you liked the twist? I'm a little pained by it. The light for Adelina is just snuffed out. :( But kudos for the guts Marie Lu has. Let's see how dark Adelina is for the next book!

Taschima Sarah wrote: "So you liked the twist? I'm a little pained by it. The light for Adelina is just snuffed out. :( But kudos for the guts Marie Lu has. Let's see how dark Adelina is for the next book!"

I did! It is just different. I am really looking forward to the sequel :D