kim's Reviews > Five Days of Fear

Five Days of Fear by David Kovach

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club-reading, fiction, contemporary, mystery-thriler-suspense, available

This is the author’s first novel, and a good attempt, so I am going to be gentle with my review. I won a book club set for my book club, and we chose to read this as our June 2013 selection. The book takes place over 5 days, and there is a chapter for each day. The story starts when the Britton family is picnicking on a beautiful day in San Francisco, when the Grandma retrieves a ball from the parking lot and overhears something she shouldn’t. This results in her being kidnapped and her husband being shot. The FBI is called in, and the resulting investigation and search for the kidnappers really is interesting. It this alone had been the story, the book would have been short, but quite good.

The problems arose when the author attempted to make this a crime thriller - romance. The youngest daughter, Jessica, is unattached and content to remain that way unless a man she is interested actually like her freckles. Of course, FBI Agent Dan comes to the rescue, and immediately notices her freckles. The problem here is that while her dad is recovering from a gunshot wound and her mother is missing, and possibly dead, Jessica has time to not only notice what a nice guy Dan is, but fall in love with him. And yes, her family noticed....and approved. Because you can’t control when the Mr. Right comes along. This was not only pretty unbelievable, it felt very forced to me, and really slowed the story down. At times, I felt like I was listening to B movie dialog being read by bad actors. There was also the issue of Dan violating policy and allowing Jessica to become very involved in the investigation, also unrealistic, but this didn’t bother me nearly as much.

I could see this book getting a good screenwriter to fine tune the dialog and get rid of the romance, and it would make a great movie. But as it is, there were too many times I had to put the book down or skim through a section because it got bogged down in the very rapidly developed relationship between Jessica and Dan. A lot of reviewers at Goodreads really liked the book though, so if the story sounds like something you’d enjoy, go for it!

★★1/2
2-1/2 Stars

Source: Book club set won from TLC Book Tours

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Days of Fear.

May 28, 2013 – Started Reading