Andrew's Reviews > Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload

Find Your Focus Zone by Lucy Jo Palladino

M 50x66

Immensely practical.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Find Your Focus Zone.

May 28, 2013 – Started Reading
May 28, 2013 – Shelved
May 28, 2013 –
page 18
May 28, 2013 –
page 59
20.63% "This book is basically a step-by-step guide on how to get out of "The Shallows" (cf. Nicholas Carr's book)."
May 31, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones Tell me the number one thing you're going to change.

Andrew Hard to give just one. The basic axiom of the book is that the mind can be over or under-stimulated (corresponding to too much or too little adrenaline), and that you have to do things to bring yourself up or down as needed.

So, to bring myself down:
-reduce to no more than one cup of caffeinated coffee a day
-continue to reduce social networking (this is a "high stimulation" activity which increases adrenaline)
-use what the author calls "4 corner breathing" (which is really just a deep breathing technique coupled with a simple repetitive pattern)
-I may also try her suggestion of always having a 3-item to do list (increasing structure decreases anxiety/adrenaline)
-continue to exercise (physical exercise brings down stress chemicals in your brain)
-try to regularly meditate for an hour a day if possible

To bring myself up when understimulated:
-take periodic, short breaks with things I enjoy (this is also known as the Pomodoro technique)
-use high tempo instrumental music
-have the occasional coffee

Some general purpose takeaways:
-get at least 8 hours sleep
-eat well (good nutrition; I actually don't agree with all her nutritional points; I'm a pretty strict low-carber, and it I've never felt better in my life)
-to deal with general anxiety, reason with yourself (de-catastrophize, and de-absolutize your problems)

There are lots of other points worth attempting to practice. It's really worth having.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones Yes, I can see there's lots of good here. It's actually so important to give attention to these things if you are trying to keep a lot of irons in the fire. Blessings Andrew.