I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)'s Reviews > Angst

Angst by Victoria Sawyer

Don’t. Don’t panic now, don’t freak out, don’t feel sick, it will only make things worse. Why must I make myself miserable? Why must I be the craziest bitch in the world? I hate my life.

What if this were the vicious cycle of thoughts in your head, day in and day out; on a constant loop of worry and anxiety? Sounds miserable, right? Well, it is a very real and frightening reality for many people in the world. After my mother passed away tragically and suddenly in January of 2012, I experienced a tiny blip of the anxiety and fear that author, Victoria Sawyer lives with daily. Although I knew my thoughts were irrational, I still could not stop them from cycling through my head and I still feel the anxiety creeping up, on occasion, and I am here to tell you – it is not a fun feeling.

I really didn’t know what I was getting in to when I agreed to read ANGST. As I typically do when I begin reading a book by a new author, I read a bit about them to learn a little about who they are and where they are coming from. I certainly did not expect to uncover that this book, so appropriately named ANGST, is loosely based on real life experiences of the author, but don’t worry, it’s not an “oh-woe-is-me” kind of book. ANGST provides some insight into the mind of a person who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, but WAIT! THERE’S MORE! THERE IS A REALLY GOOD, NEW ADULT STORY HERE TOO!

Victoria is a college freshman and like most college freshmen, she partied her ass off! Yes, some of it was fun, but all of her partying was really just a way to cope with everyday life. Victoria’s everyday life is a challenge because she suffers from panic attacks, anxiety and depression and has since the age of eight. Yes, it sucks, but she somehow manages to put on her “big-girl panties” and forge ahead with life, but not without hitting a few bumps along the way.

ANGST is written in a unique format, so HEADS-UP and take note of the dates! Although the story is not told in chronological order, it flows seamlessly and lends a hand to providing a little mystery and a twist of sorts that totally caught me off guard… I love it when an author shakes things up a bit – keeps me on my toes ☺.

This isn’t a fluffy little read with a happily ever after ending, but there is some romance, a little humor and a lot of darkness. The best part is that the reader and Victoria get their “happy for now” and I think that is how ANGST had to end, because anything else would have been unrealistic.

ANGST was an emotional ride, but well worth it! Go ahead and bust out the tissues, because you are probably going to cry, I definitely did.

A Note to the Author: I don’t even know you, but I am proud of you. You are not crazy. You are brave. You are strong. I hope writing this story has been therapeutic for you and you have found some peace and happiness in your life. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Learn more about the author and ANGST HERE!!

✳✳ Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

___________________________________________________

Menage Readers

Erotic Enchants

Bookie Nookie's Erotic Lending Group

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angst.

May 27, 2013 – Shelved
May 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read-to-review
May 27, 2013 – Shelved as: z-amazon
May 27, 2013 – Shelved as: z-from-the-author-publisher
May 27, 2013 – Shelved as: z-blog
May 30, 2013 – Started Reading
June 8, 2013 –
78.0% "WELL! I DID NOT SEE THAT ONE COMING!"
June 9, 2013 – Shelved as: have-read-to-review
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: sexual-mix-mf
June 16, 2013 – Shelved as: tone-dark-or-not-fluffy
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: i-love-this-new
July 1, 2015 – Shelved as: i-love-this-all

MissyGirl I absolutely looooove books with angst in them, so I'm thinking this would be a good book for me. Lol!

message 2: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) Well, it is full of it! I will say more in my review, but 2 things about this one:

1.) It is loosely based on the author's real life battle with mental illness

2.) Do you remember how my mother died? That was discussed and it was hard for me :-( It really made me cry for her, for my mom, for myself. (so bust out the tissues) So I sent her a tweet that said: YOU MADE ME CRY YOU BITCH!

- so, for anyone who saw that tweet... it was not meant as harsh as it sounds...lol... The girls in the book always call each other "BITCH" so it was more of a term of endearment.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) I think she is brave to put it all out there like she did.

You should check out her blog: http://angstanxietypanic.wordpress.com/

MissyGirl Oh, wow! That IS some angst! Thanks for sharing, Bookie. I will take a look at her blog.

message 5: by MissyGirl (last edited Jun 09, 2013 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MissyGirl AND I will be sure to have tissues at the ready - I appreciate the warning!

Was it cathartic for you at all? I hope so! :)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) MissyGirl wrote: "AND I will be sure to have tissues at the ready - I appreciate the warning!

Was it cathartic for you at all? I hope so! :)"

yes, and Victoria was kind enough to respond when I reached out to her :-) After my mother's death, I had a lot of irrational fears about things I never feared before - and sometimes I still do... like going on vacation - I can't help but think that something terrible could happen while I am gone - maybe to me...maybe to someone I love. So I have had a tiny dose of what she has had to deal with her whole life.

I have it in the lending group if you don't already have it :-)

MissyGirl It sounds intense! Heading over to the lending group now........ ;)

MissyGirl Wonderful review, Bookie, and thanks for the loan! I'm starting this in a couple of days. I'll stop back by to let you know how I'm liking it. :)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) Thank you! Let me know what you think!

MissyGirl I really liked it! I actually ended up buying it (and therefore, adding another copy to the group) because I had highlighted so many passages/phrases that I wanted to remember!

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) MissyGirl wrote: "I really liked it! I actually ended up buying it (and therefore, adding another copy to the group) because I had highlighted so many passages/phrases that I wanted to remember!"

Yay! So glad u liked it!,