Rachel Elizabeth's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Jul 07, 2009

bookshelves: own, 2008, re-read, 2010

For me, this book followed the same trajectory as The Office (US). It starts off subtle and real and funny in an everyday way, making you appreciate the characters' quirks and start to love them. There's some bits of wackiness here and there that makes you pause for a moment to think, "Hey, that's a little over the top," but you realize it's justified because there's a moderate amount of crazy in all of us. And then there's a sad, touching moment that makes you realize that you really, really do love these characters.

And then, just when you're thinking that this might be one of your favorite collective reading/viewing experiences ever, it all goes NUTS and not in a good way, and you're left being like, "Whaaaat, paintbull gun/Chris Brown."

I'd give The Office four stars too. It's all for the sake of sentiment. 15 minutes/15 pages of sucking can't negate how wonderful everything that came before was.

****

After re-reading, 2010: This is a lot less funny than I remember. Not any less good, but things that read funny in 2008 read sadder to me right now.

Also, the herd mentality -- while very accurate -- is a little less endearing now that I am actually working in an office, FWIW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

July 7, 2009 – Shelved
November 11, 2010 –
page 255
November 11, 2010 –
page 255
66.23% "Lynn Mason's section still gets me."
November 13, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
November 13, 2010 –
page 385
November 13, 2010 – Finished Reading

Erika I read this in 2008 as well and loved it. It would be interesting to see how it holds up today.