Kristi-The Book Faery's Reviews > The Retribution of Mara Dyer

The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

bookshelves: pnr-2014, simon-schuster, suspense, ya-series, sci-fi

There is something inherently beautiful in a well-written book, I think that all bibliophiles feel this way, but it’s even more so when it’s a really well-written series, start to finish. One in which every character has become a friend and the plotline itself is deeply ingrained in memory. Let’s face it, well-written series are da bomb! How many die hard readers go completely fangirl over a great series and wait anxiously for 12-18 months for the next installment? Or worse, stalk various outlets for an ARC? God knows, I have … I admit to being absolutely shameless! But I have my reasons, as we all do. It’s for the characters that we love, the worlds that we dream of, the escape that only a really great book can give.
For me, The Mara Dyer trilogy is one of those series. The last book in the series, The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, is everything I pray for in a final installment. No stone left unturned, gloriously gut-wrenching and emotionally draining, yet in the end …. supremely satisfying.

Mara is not the same girl, she has been brutally experimented on by Dr. Kells both physically and medically, given experimental medications that not only suppress her gift but key personality traits. With the help of an unlikely ally, Mara manages to escape Dr. Kells grasp and with Jamie and Stella, they hit the road in search of answers and Noah. The journey for answers is a perilous one and along the way their friendship is tested. Lies are told and people that were once trusted become dangerous enemies.

Although The Retribution of Mara Dyer is quite dark, there were some undeniably hilarious moments between Mara and Jamie. One instance in particular had me laughing out loud for a few minutes, for those of you who’ve read it, Jamie’s ‘taste the rainbow, bitch’, had me in stitches! For those of you who haven’t, I really suggest you do.

The characters each have their unique voice and are so well fleshed out, it’s a big part of what attracts me to this series. The secondary characters are just as strong as the main. Mara, through struggling at times, does get her retribution against those who she sees as a threat, not only to her but to those she loves. This makes Mara a very dangerous girl! Jamie’s mind-screw power is getting stronger and quite frankly, I can see how this would be a handy little power to have! Daniel, Mara’s brother plays an impressive role in this book and I was happy to see this. Jude’s back, that’s all I’m going to say about that!
There is finally more about Mara's grandmother, Noah's mother, Naomi, and the Professor, it's interesting how this all ties in to the story.

I wish that all of you would read this series … seriously!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Retribution of Mara Dyer.

May 26, 2013 – Shelved
November 5, 2014 – Shelved as: simon-schuster
November 5, 2014 – Shelved as: suspense
November 5, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-series
November 5, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) I've been seeing lots of people saying the same thing...clearly I need to pick this up ASAP!