Natasha's Reviews > Sleeping with the Fishes

Sleeping with the Fishes by MaryJanice Davidson

I just realized I've never did a review on this series, and I read it this past summer..Better late than never I suppose!

Sleeping with the Fishes by MJD is the first book in the Fred the Mermaid series. MJD is mostly known for her Undead series which is a big hit and hilarious. And like everything she writes, it was fast paced and had snappy dialogue. I really like Davidson's humor. She can have serious action one minute and humor the next. Even when their filled with monsters, you laugh out loud.

I really enjoyed this book/series. It was a different pace from her other series. The main character was still a hoot and the book had a good amount of action. But this book was all about mermaids, which I thought was cool. I was hesitant to read this because I thought it would be more of a YA type read. (Not that I don't love YA, because I do.) It just didn't appeal to me at first. But that was before I started to read it. Sure, it's no Betsy, since that series is super great. But it's a good series for a light read.

The heroine, Twenty nine year old marine biologist Dr. Fredrika Bimm ( but funny enough she goes by Fred) isn't your typical Disney type mermaid. Far from it. She's a unique character.. with green hair and who's half mermaid and half human. During the story she gets the attention of two males. One human and the other a sea-prince. But Fred isn't the type to love that much attention, and doesn't want to be bothered by either. The triangle they make is truly funny! But romance isn't the main part of this book, the pollution in the waters is a big deal for Fred and being a Marie Biologist she is helping in anyway she can to find out what's the cause. That's where both Dr. Thomas Pearson and sea-price Arthur come in. Arthur and all the sea-folk are being affected by the pollution and Thomas also wants to help Fred to find out who's behind it. Fred's supporting cast is strong and funny. I really liked Jonas's character. (Her best friend). He kept the humor going when other's seemed to be sometimes lacking.

But honestly this was a good book. At page one of this book I was hooked. I bought and read all three books in one weekend on my summer vacation. SLEEPING WITH FISHES is an amusing fantasy that makes you think twice about who's swimming in your waters. If your interested in a charm filled light read, this book is the one to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping with the Fishes.

July 7, 2009 – Shelved