Kat's Reviews > Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

Jul 07, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: jane-austen, books-i-own, read-in-2009, classic-mash-ups, fantasy
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

A new book about a vampire and a mortal who are in love? This plot sounds a bit familar. With the vampire craze sweeping the fiction world, it was only a matter of time before someone took Jane Austen's most popular novel and turned it into a vampire romance. I just wasn't expecting it to be Amanda Grange, whose previous Jane Austen sequels have been praised by readers.

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre picks up where Pride and Prejudice leaves off. We see the Darcys and Bingleys get married and then follow Mr. and Mrs. Darcy on their wedding tour. Elizabeth thinks they are off to the Lake District, but Darcy has other plans. Off they set on a tour of Europe, traveling to Paris, Venice and beyond. At the start of their journey, Elizabeth notices a change in Darcy. He seems unhappy to be married to her. It doesn't help matters that he consistently avoids her bedchamber night after night.

The plot moves slowly at first, as it's mainly the Darcys traveling and meeting Darcy's old friends (he seems to know a lot of people and own a lot of property). It's obvious that Mr. Darcy is a vampire, as the title gives that fact away. But it's unlike Elizabeth to be so dim as to not even realize that something obviously plagues her new husband. She's a smart woman, so it really bugged me that it takes forever for her to discover the truth.

As I read this book, I couldn't help but notice all the similarities between this and another fictional series about a vampire and the human he loves. Twilight, anyone? Vampire Darcy is too much like Edward Cullen — tormented, brooding, consumed with guilt for bringing an innocent human into his world. Elizabeth, while not as annoying or dumb as Bella Swan, has that whole "I'd rather die than live without you" thing down. *rolls eyes* She does come to her senses at one point and takes back her own life, so that was a relief.

Amanda Grange is a good storyteller. Her writing is smooth and flows very well. It wasn't hard to get through these pages. But this novel moves too slowly at the beginning and then seems to finish rather abruptly. A solid effort on her part to add a new twist to the Darcy and Elizabeth love story, but I much prefer a human Darcy over a vampire Darcy any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy, Vampyre.